Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Plastic canvas vs. perforated paper???

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
toobusytostitch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Plastic canvas vs. perforated paper???

Post by toobusytostitch »

I have read the thread on plastic canvas and have just finished stitching my first item on plastic canvas but I wanted to ask what the difference is in using plastic canvas vs perforated paper. When should you use perforated paper? Is it just a case of using which medium you prefer or is there a practical reason to use one instead of the other?

Any tips appreciated!

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: Plastic canvas vs. perforated paper???

Post by blackberrybear »

I use perforated paper when making bookmarks becasue it's thinner and stays in the book easier.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Perforated paper is also good for making card toppers. Plastic canvas works fine but because the paper is thinner it's better for toppers. :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

toobusytostitch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Thanks BBB and BMH.

I guessed that for items that would be indoors the perforated paper otherwise if it got wet it could lose it's shape (eg on hair clips then you get rained on) but couldn't really see the difference.

I know with plastic canvas it is suggested to coat the stitching in glue afterwards - do you do the same when stitching on the paper or is it just like stitching on aida?

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

I like to use these: http://www.kmart.com/scotch-self-sealin ... ockType=G4 because I'm a little parnoid that they will rip or get wet.

JenJen
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by JenJen »

ahh...I always wondered about perforated paper. My bf wants a Game of Thrones bookmark and I didn't know if stitching it on aida was a good choice, maybe if I starched it first...? But I think I'll try perforated paper.
"Prepare your brain for RAZZLE DAZZLE!!!!

rosey175
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by rosey175 »

Is plastic canvas the same thing as perforated plastic? :confused: I have some stuff called perforated plastic which looks just like the paper except it's, well, plastic, haha.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

rosey175 wrote:Is plastic canvas the same thing as perforated plastic? :confused: I have some stuff called perforated plastic which looks just like the paper except it's, well, plastic, haha.
I'd guess it's the same! Just a fancy title ;)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

I think perforated plastic can have a higher count (smaller stitches) than plastic canvas, from what I've seen.

toobusytostitch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

From what I've seen perforated plastic (or perforated paper) is made by having a sheet of the paper/plastic then punching a load of holes in it which can leave less space between the holes. The plastic canvas is like a mesh created from strands of plastic and those strands have to be a certain thickness to work so the stitch itself comes out chunkier even on the same count canvas vs perforated matter. (If you get what I mean! Hard to explain without pics of the 2 things side by side!!)