3%
97%

Total votes: 30

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

18ct one thread or two?

Post by Lord Libidan »

I'm planning a new project, which will be on 18 count aida, however I'm not sure if I should use one thread or two. Anyone used 18 count before?

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: 18ct one thread or two?

Post by RMDC »

I primarily stitch in 18 count. I can't imagine that one thread would be sufficient. I always use a doubled-over strand - you know, so it's essentially stitching with two threads - and I make sure to railroad as best I can so that the stitches will be fuller.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

stitchingmama
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by stitchingmama »

Two is the only answer. I once tried using 1 since I was using metallics and it was a clear no go.
"I need to feel your cross stitch. Feels like 8-bit" - my three year old

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

I use one strand for 28 count and higher; 22 and below I use 2.

lpgeorge123
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by lpgeorge123 »

RMDC wrote:I primarily stitch in 18 count. I can't imagine that one thread would be sufficient. I always use a doubled-over strand - you know, so it's essentially stitching with two threads - and I make sure to railroad as best I can so that the stitches will be fuller.
I mainly stitch in 14 or 18 count aida. I've always used two strands and double them up as well. I recently learned that this may not be the "norm" for stitching. So essentially I've been stitching with 4 strands. My LoZ Light and Dark World maps were done this way on 18 ct. But I really liked the full color, no background peeking through. In the end they were very thick, kind of like upholstery fabric.

I think in the future with 18 ct fabric I'll just use 1 strand doubled up.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

I use 18 count most of the time. I generally use 3 strands for a nice full colour, although two is ok if you don't mind the odd bit of background colour coming through. One strand would look very thin.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Pyper wrote:I use 18 count most of the time. I generally use 3 strands for a nice full colour, although two is ok if you don't mind the odd bit of background colour coming through.
3? Wow. I use 2 for 14 count... Yikes. Maybe I should be using more. :P

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

I use 3 strands for 14 count, 2 strands for 16 and 18 count, and anything higher I do 1,
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

When I started I used 3 strands for 14 count, but I've relaxed in the past couple of years. I usually like the folksy feel that obvious crosses give to a piece. (Some pieces really do call for a fuller stitch, though, especially plastic canvas.) Part of it, too, is that I use the doubled-over method of needle threading, with the needle resting securely in the crook of the loop so that I can let it drop without the needle slipping off the thread. I like not having to worry about losing my needle. Stitching with an odd number of strands means I have to use the dangle-through-the-eye method and be more conscientious, which means I'm paying less attention to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. while I stitch. :P
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

Lord Libidan wrote:
Pyper wrote:I use 18 count most of the time. I generally use 3 strands for a nice full colour, although two is ok if you don't mind the odd bit of background colour coming through.
3? Wow. I use 2 for 14 count... Yikes. Maybe I should be using more. :P
I'm a little bit unusual for using so much thread. When I picked up stitching again I did a test patch with different thread counts and 3 looked best to me. These days I'll use 2 or 3 depending on the piece, background colour and how much the fabric can take. I don't like seeing background coming through. I use 3-4 on 14 ct :P
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/