Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Multi-Page Patterns

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Multi-Page Patterns

Post by cirestan »

So about a month ago I started my first multi-page pattern. 24 pages to be exact (but to be honest the 9 pages along the bottom and right side are cut off at about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of pattern).
Here is what I've learned so far:
When having the option to get the "regular print" or "large print" I chose the "regular print" thinking, I can see the pattern, fewer pages will be more manageable. Au Contraire!
Some of the symbols are close enough to others that they are difficult to tell apart. That is the exception, but it does happen.
Also each sheet is a about a 4 x 6 " pattern on 18 count, and is fairly complex. So it's easy to hit burn-out, and it's easy to miss that one wayward stitch for the thread you already have going only to have to come back to it later.
So in the future I would choose the "large print", which at the very least would make each page's stitching area smaller, more manageable, and easier to "finish" which would compartmentalize the work a little better. And the symbols would be easier to spot. And I think it would be easier to plan stitch order.

The one thing I did do right, was take the entire pattern book to the Office Depot and get it all laminated and spiral bound. Which allows me to stack the book with my other supplies, flip pages, and leave it lying around without the fear kids or pets destroying it.

I know a lot of this is probably "No, Duh" information to most of you, but thought I would share anyways. :)

Please let me know of any additional tips you have for multi-page patterns.
Visit my Etsy Store "A Stitch 'N' Crime"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AStitchNCrime

Visit my OTHER Etsy Store "Rescued Art Shop"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RescuedArtSho ... _shop_menu

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Multi-Page Patterns

Post by Eliste »

cirestan wrote: The one thing I did do right, was take the entire pattern book to the Office Depot and get it all laminated and spiral bound. Which allows me to stack the book with my other supplies, flip pages, and leave it lying around without the fear kids or pets destroying it.
Rather than laminating and binding mine, I use one of those books with plastic pockets. Then when I finish a project, I can take them out and put them somewhere. It also means I can write on my patterns. I don't always, but I find having the option is useful.

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Multi-Page Patterns

Post by Knittenkitten »

I, too, have a few multipage patterns that I work on. What I usually do is, if all of the fabric will be stitched, I mark gridlines to match the pattern. I also circle the stitch symbol I will be following and erase the marks as I get a row (or group) complete and highlight them so that I know where I am at in the pattern. Hopefully that makes sense.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet