Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Saggy scroll frame?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
shanoa
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Saggy scroll frame?

Post by shanoa »

It's funny that your mom removing your tape fixed the sagging issue because I was going to recommend taping to fix it! When I put fabric that I haven't taped into my scroll frame it always sags on the sides, but I tape it and it suddenly is tight. Go figure!

I think it also depends on what style of scroll frame you're using. I started with a frame where the dowels were split most of the way down and you just slid your cloth into the gap and then tightened the ever living daylights out of the screws. Worst. Design. Ever.

The one I use now has a channel that you place the end of the fabric in and then press a rubber strip down on top of it. It's a lot better at keeping tension than the other one was. In fact, I actually broke my original scroll frame by over tightening the screws in a vain attempt to keep the dowels from turning! Snapped the end piece that the screw went through.
Current Projects:
Frederick the Literate kit

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

shanoa wrote:It's funny that your mom removing your tape fixed the sagging issue because I was going to recommend taping to fix it! When I put fabric that I haven't taped into my scroll frame it always sags on the sides, but I tape it and it suddenly is tight. Go figure!

I think it also depends on what style of scroll frame you're using. I started with a frame where the dowels were split most of the way down and you just slid your cloth into the gap and then tightened the ever living daylights out of the screws. Worst. Design. Ever.

The one I use now has a channel that you place the end of the fabric in and then press a rubber strip down on top of it. It's a lot better at keeping tension than the other one was. In fact, I actually broke my original scroll frame by over tightening the screws in a vain attempt to keep the dowels from turning! Snapped the end piece that the screw went through.
That's the kind I have, the one where the dowels are split most of the way down. It was all they had at Joanne's...Sadly, I've since given up on it and gone back to my hoop.
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

rockinwithrammstein wrote:
shanoa wrote:It's funny that your mom removing your tape fixed the sagging issue because I was going to recommend taping to fix it! When I put fabric that I haven't taped into my scroll frame it always sags on the sides, but I tape it and it suddenly is tight. Go figure!

That's the kind I have, the one where the dowels are split most of the way down. It was all they had at Joanne's...Sadly, I've since given up on it and gone back to my hoop.
Ditto. I've thought about getting those Q-Snap frames, but money is a bit tight and I'm totally fine with my hoop at the moment. It's hard for me to imagine stitching without holding onto the piece.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign