Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Old Bobbin Label Stickers

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
nintandrew
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Old Bobbin Label Stickers

Post by nintandrew »

Hey guys, I have my bobbins labeled using those DMC sticker labels, but they're getting to be a couple years old now and they're not so sticky any more. They're starting to flake off and I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and what to do about it. I suppose I could buy a new package and re-label them, but the same thing might happen again down the road. I kinda bought these so I didn't have to write the numbers on the bobbins because my handwriting is atrocious, and I don't have a pen that would write nicely on the plastic. Currently, I've started wrapping the little thing that's on the floss when you buy it with the color code sticking out, but it's not ideal and would be glad to hear anyone else's suggestions for labeling.

Thanks!
Eyup

tyrannorus
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Old Bobbin Label Stickers

Post by tyrannorus »

I don't have the labels at all but I just had a suggestion of maybe covering them with clear tape. That should protect them from wear and tear.

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

I have the stickers too but mine have fared a'right so far. I think using tape will keep them going a few years longer. I really wish Sharpies wrote on them better...
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

I actually bought these bobbins off of Etsy once. It was a kit by Blue Fox (I think). All the bobbins were pre-numbered and had the color's name on it as well. They're pretty nice, but sadly, they're the cardboard kind, thus they aren't standing up to the test of time, especially the one my daughter found and thought would make a good teether. o.O
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

stitchingmama
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by stitchingmama »

I'm so cheap I I have refused to pay for those labels. Instead I cut the # off the paper for the skein & tape it to the bobbin with scotch tape. I love scotch tape but it is a little too thick so I end up having to use scissors to cut the tape to size.
"I need to feel your cross stitch. Feels like 8-bit" - my three year old

WeeRamekin
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by WeeRamekin »

stitchingmama wrote:I'm so cheap I I have refused to pay for those labels. Instead I cut the # off the paper for the skein & tape it to the bobbin with scotch tape. I love scotch tape but it is a little too thick so I end up having to use scissors to cut the tape to size.
I do the exact same thing. It was a little time consuming in the beginning but it was the best way I could think to do it at the time.
WIP: Mario Through the Ages; Stitch-a-long Sampler; Portal Gift for BF; Learning to work with plastic canvas

katdun
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by katdun »

I managed to buy my labels on sale for 50% off, so it wasn't so bad. I just finally collected all the colors over the summer and put them all on the plastic bobbins with the labels. I also wrote the DMC # on both sides of the bobbin with a Sharpie after I wound them up (the marker wiped off if I wrote it before). They're holding up so far, but I have the same concern that the stickers might fall off sooner or later. I like the tape idea!
Current Projects:
Pen Pals!
Sprite Stitch Swap!
Learning to crochet!

Shazbang
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Shazbang »

I use a Bic fine point permanent marker before I wind the floss on and haven't had any issues with it on the plastic bobbins. Though I did use an orange one for some reason lol so my only concern is that it will fade in time but I'm sure I'll be able to write over it or put the floss on a new bobbin when the time comes.
kuja.girl wrote:I really wish Sharpies wrote on them better...
I'm surprised Sharpies don't write better, they're the best markers ever! In fact now I'm questioning why I didn't choose to use my Sharpies and went for the Bic marker instead! But now I'm glad I did!
http://reeree6924.deviantart.com/

Current Projects:
- Dimensions Tiger Kit
- Disney Dreams Beauty and the Beast 5x7 kit (Up to the back stitching and french knots. Yuck.)
- Assorted small magnets to invade my fridge with

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

I had the labels peel off too. It's really annoying because now I have a bunch of unlabeled bobbins. It's okay for my embroidery, but not for my cross stitch where I need an exact number. This is my final solution after trying many things: get cardboard bobbins, but put them back to back, and then wind the thread. It makes the bobbin thick enough to be stable, and you can easily label both sides with a pen.
For example, here is the front:
Spoiler
And here is the back:
Spoiler
Two layers of cardboard make it strong, plus I have both sides labeled which makes things easier.
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

WeeRamekin
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by WeeRamekin »

That's a good idea Starrley - I might have to try that - I have a ton of cardboard bobbins.
WIP: Mario Through the Ages; Stitch-a-long Sampler; Portal Gift for BF; Learning to work with plastic canvas