Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Question About Cross Stitch

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Question About Cross Stitch

Post by Eliste »

Sheepish wrote:Am I the only one who absolutely hates those little cardboard thread holder things? I gave up on using those a long time ago, opting to put cut thread in little baggies and leaving the uncut thread as is.
You are not alone. I hate those cardboard things too. I also find that if you plan on using your floss for non-cross stitch projects that those cardboard things can wreck the thread.

I was doing a satin stitch project and as I got closer to the end of the thread, the kinks from the cardboard made it impossible to get the thread to lie flat and straight next to each other. I leave them as is now in a basket. Not very easy to find, but if I've got it, it won't give me hassle.

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by no_need »

I, too, used to use bobbins but have given them up. It takes forever to wind the floss on and it damages the floss, too. I now store each colour in a labeled, small ziploc bag and keep all the bags in a plastic box lined up in numerical order so I can find them easily. I've never had a problem with the floss being tangled or anything like that and I also find it much more convenient.
Last edited by no_need on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

I find that plastic bobbins are a little kinder than cardboard bobbins. Still, the kinks are strong in the couple layers closest to the bobbin.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

You can avoid the kinks by working in a dual storage process. Keep your bobbins in the box, then cut several lengths when you need the color. That length gets threaded onto a small o-ring and looped onto a hinged ring from DMC. Then you just keep adding rings of thread as you work. This allows the organization dream of the bobbin system for your full thread collection while avoiding the tribulations of working directly from bobbins. It also makes your projects super or table since you can grab the ring of thread much easier than a bunch of bobbins. I wrote about this in my blog if you guys are interested (link in signature)
Conquering crafting - one medium at a time!
http://www.concraftidora.wordpress.com

Family Tree Sampler (90% done)
Christmas Stocking (70% done)
Epic Pokemon Generation I (1/30 pages)
Three Wolf Moon (10% done)

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I'm sorry, Concraftidor, you're not going to convince me of this one. If you don't use a full thread soon after its put on the bobbins, those kinks are a right pain. If you only cross stitch, it's probably fine, but if you do other stuff, it's more hassle than it's worth.

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

Eliste wrote:I'm sorry, Concraftidor, you're not going to convince me of this one. If you don't use a full thread soon after its put on the bobbins, those kinks are a right pain. If you only cross stitch, it's probably fine, but if you do other stuff, it's more hassle than it's worth.
That's valid. I pretty much only use my thread for cross-stitch. Plus hoarding the entire DMC collection + living in a 400 sq ft Brooklyn apartment makes the bobbin system way too appealing for organization to bother with worrying about kinks. To each their own :P
Conquering crafting - one medium at a time!
http://www.concraftidora.wordpress.com

Family Tree Sampler (90% done)
Christmas Stocking (70% done)
Epic Pokemon Generation I (1/30 pages)
Three Wolf Moon (10% done)