Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

What you wish someone had told you...

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: What you wish someone had told you...

Post by concraftidor »

I use a winder tool and clippers now, although when I started maille at 14 I used wooden dowels with a hole drilled in one end and brute force of my hands. I cut the coils with a jeweler's saw if I'm making something to sell or something out of precious metals. The reason I like buying is because usually they are machine cut, so they all have beautiful flush ends. I'm not going to go through the trouble of using a saw with aluminum, brass, or other non-precious work myself since it takes awhile, but I love the look of perfect flush ends. I will note - I don't make sheet, I make fine jewelry out of maille, so usually I like it to look as perfect as possible. As such buying is easier, but sawing is cheaper.
Conquering crafting - one medium at a time!
http://www.concraftidora.wordpress.com

Family Tree Sampler (90% done)
Christmas Stocking (70% done)
Epic Pokemon Generation I (1/30 pages)
Three Wolf Moon (10% done)

Sheepish
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Sheepish »

Cross-stitching: No matter how pretty you think it'll be, don't use the metallic floss! :P Or, if you really must, use shorter stands, the frustration of starting and ending the stuff PALES in comparison to the fraying, breaking, tangling...

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

Sheepish wrote:Cross-stitching: No matter how pretty you think it'll be, don't use the metallic floss! :P Or, if you really must, use shorter stands, the frustration of starting and ending the stuff PALES in comparison to the fraying, breaking, tangling...
Piggyback tip: If you MUST use metallic thread it should be couched, not cross-stitched. You can couch in a cross-stitch pattern, but it is a thread that is really designed more to be lain rather than imbedded, as originated in the gold film thread of the Medieval era. I wrote my thesis on Medieval embroidery, and learned that trick!

Sheepish
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Sheepish »

I... don't know what that means actually... lol

What is / how do you couch metallic thread?

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

concraftidor wrote:I wrote my thesis on Medieval embroidery, and learned that trick!
What I wouldn't give to read it!
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Sheepish wrote: What is / how do you couch metallic thread?
I think Concraftidor is talking about full metal threads here- like those used in goldwork. DMC metallics are meant to go ahead and be stitched.

Couching is a way of affixing thread to the fabric. Rather than having the thread go in and out of the fabric, it lies on top of the fabric. You then use a more pliable thread to go up and down around the thread in spaced intervals. This keeps the main thread in place without it having to be sewn in and out of the fabric.

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

Exactly. I use that technique even with the DMC because I think it produces cleaner results. The Wiki article for the technique is actually pretty useful and has some great pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couching

I use a lot of Medieval techniques when I do fine work because it truly helps the quality, but mostly I'm just a good ol' cross stitcher!

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

I just started doing something and figured I'd share it here because it has CHANGED MY LIFE!

To finish my edges before I stitch i've always either dipped/ran in wax (messy, annoying) or stitched it (time-consuming or cumbersome since I keep my machine stored away). But yesterday, in a rush, I tried using lightweight iron-on interfacing cut into thin strips and it's GREAT! The edges are quickly secured and fraying is prevented, and the interfacing is soft and nice to hold in the hand. I'm so thrilled, though I may retract this if it begins to peel off. but for now - love it.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

concraftidor wrote:I just started doing something and figured I'd share it here because it has CHANGED MY LIFE!

To finish my edges before I stitch i've always either dipped/ran in wax (messy, annoying) or stitched it (time-consuming or cumbersome since I keep my machine stored away). But yesterday, in a rush, I tried using lightweight iron-on interfacing cut into thin strips and it's GREAT! The edges are quickly secured and fraying is prevented, and the interfacing is soft and nice to hold in the hand. I'm so thrilled, though I may retract this if it begins to peel off. but for now - love it.
I may need to try this. I've never really done much to my edges because everything else seems too time consuming or just doesn't sound like a good idea for a long term thing.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Hecksgirl
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Hecksgirl »

I have been wondering about this! The iron-on stuff seems like it would be better than tape, but have been too scared to try it out. Will definitely pick some up next time I'm in town!