Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Some cross stitching questions from a newbie.

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Some cross stitching questions from a newbie.

Post by Eliste »

Shogun wrote: 4 - how clean do you keep the back of the fabric? As I was doing it, I would generally work a color first, and sometimes I'd have to skip say 3-4 squares and come back, and it would make a lot of x's and ugly threads on the back. Am I better off just making the squares that are next to each other, then tying/looping the thread and cutting it off and then starting fresh 3-4 squares later? Does keeping it clean on the back really make a big difference, or is it more work than it's worth?
My personal rule is this: If it would take more thread for me to tie off and re-start elsewhere than it would to just jump across, then I jump across. This probably means I jump more than others do, but if I'm going to use the same or more thread to tie off, I can't be bothered to go to the hassle of doing so.
5 - I've read about not tying it off on the back, but just looping it under some other threads. I have a few concerns about that - do threads not tend to come loose? It seems like they would, especially if you have to wash the thing to get all the wrinkles out. What I've done is taken the 2 strands I'm using and just made 2-3 simple knots. It also seems the looping of the thread makes the back look pretty ugly.
Generally speaking nobody but you is going to see the back, so how messy you want it is up to you. But you should be aware it is never going to look as good as the front. Ever. Even the tidiest of people have to occasionally jump one or two or go diagonally and so it always looks a little weird.

I always suggest not using knots, especially for cross stitch because not only does it look bad if you end up framing it when all the knots push the fabric out, but they have a tendency to pull through the holes of the Aida and therefore aren't terribly secure.

If you dislike the looping at the back, you can anchor them like you do with other embroidery-

Put a knot (ugh, I know but it'll get cut off) and pass your thread from front to back a number of squares over from where you want to start. Then stitch across the thread as you go. Cut off the knot when its secure or in your way.

I personally don't prefer this as it not only takes more thread and effort (and I am at heart exceedingly lazy), but it has the same issue that using knots at the back has- they occasionally jump through the hole in the Aida and you have to start all over again. It works better with other embroidery as you're not using fabric with giant holes in it.

TheMainlander
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by TheMainlander »

I found myself much like you, stumbling onto stitching later in life as a way to express my interest in 8- and 16-bit gaming in a creative way. This site, and these people who inhabit it, are the best resource a new sprite stitcher could ever ask for!

The only humble advice I could give is, read through this forum, especially the how-to and techniques threads, and follow the links found within. You'll disagree with some, you'll worship others, and in the process you'll develop a personal and unique style.

Take part in the monthly challenges. They are not at all about winning (although I'll admit it feels really nice if you do!), they are about practicing techniques, color-matching, developing patterns, learning and honing your own styles and habits. They also are great at providing inspiration for future projects.

And to echo past responses, make sure you have fun! There will be mistakes, there will be dropped stitches, there will be wrong shades of floss, there will be lots and lots of knotted floss, dropped needles, etc. etc. etc. Take a break, come back with fresh eyes, patiently fix what went wrong and continue on. When you are finished, and that wonderful project you made with your own hands lies before you, it'll all be worth it.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."
-Jayne, Firefly

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

Eliste wrote:
My personal rule is this: If it would take more thread for me to tie off and re-start elsewhere than it would to just jump across, then I jump across. This probably means I jump more than others do, but if I'm going to use the same or more thread to tie off, I can't be bothered to go to the hassle of doing so.
This is mostly what I do, I just make sure that when I do jump it doesn't show through the holes to the front.

Sheepish
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Sheepish »

I'v become pretty lax about jumping spaces in my stitching. So long as it looks like I'm skipping using as much thread as I would waste looping it and starting over, I don't consider it a waste of time. As long as there is or will be stitching to anchor it down, I'm good. Sometimes, depending on the fabric, I'll even anchor it down into the fabric itself, but it can be tricky to do that without it showing in the front, and REALLY depends on the fabric cooperating.

I'm always interested in hearing how people feel about showing their backs (and doesn't that sound grand out of context?) I personally have no issue, some of my projects are really neat, some are really messy,. I don't aim to make it super neat, but I do try to use some strategy to be efficient.

Uhh, on colored aida... if the background is predominately one color, and you can find or die fabric that color, I can't recommend it enough. I hate doing a thousand stitches of the same color if I don't have to. But that's personal preference.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

6 - any suggestions for a beginner? Things I might not think of when starting this new hobby?
I think most people have covered most of your questions now, but I thought I would just add a couple of things:

[1] Try to keep all your top-half-of-stitches going in the same direction. It looks neater up close.

[2] Let the needle hang loose now and then to untwist any twistieness in the thread. This helps the thread lay flat on the stitch and not as a really tight hard lump.

[3] The number of strands used varies between people and fabric counts. I like a nice full pixel so I would use 3 strands on 18 ct, while others use 2. Pick a patch of canvas and stitch out a sqarish block of 6-12 stitches with each number of strands you think may be a go, and see what you think of the coverage. More strands will fill the pixel more, but too many can distort the fabric (and be a waste). Less strands can leave it with a very X feel to the work. Its just a matter of preference.

[4] Colours. Unless it is a kit from a well established brand (and even if it is) just take a look at the colours before you start. Many of the pattern programs around can be a bit dodgy when numbering colours, so it is worth eyeballing it to see if any look glaringly off. Keep in mind that the colours can look a little bit different when stithed into context. Also if you want to start a project and don't have the exact colours listed, often you can substitute in other brands/colours as long as they are close enough. Don't be afraid to mix brands if you prefer certain colours. Quite a few of my projects have Anchor and DMC threads.

[5] If you mess up and stitch a whole row one stitch off don't panic, and ask a few questions before you rip out the last 5 rows of stitching. Look at the pattern and the colours. Can you add an extra stitch at the missing end and then stitch over the wrong stitches with the correct colour at the other end? Keep in mind what colours you are using and that the double stitch will turn out a little thicker. If this doesn't work you can cut the thread at the very end of the mistake stitches, unpick it a little way (2-4 stitches), use a needle to thread these ends back under the rest of your row, and attach a new strand to fill in any of the few you needed to remove to get enough tail to secure it. Yes it is a little fiddly, but much better (to my mind) than unpicking all the way back.

[6] Experiment! Pick small projects and a new style and play around. Switch up the colours, go greyscale for something! This will help give you a feel for how shades change depending what they are next to. Try backstitch and french knots to add definition. Play with top stitch direction, eg make a butterfly where the top direction on the top wings is \\\\ //// and the bottom wings are /// \\\ I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have, but it may just catch the light differently and add a little more depth. Mix strands of different colours either to blend from one colour to another (blue to other blue), or to put a striking contrast in (strand of gold/red in black). Mix up the number of threads for different areas to change the texture, or even do only half stitches in some regions (works well on backgrounds and saves time and thread). Play around and have fun!
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Shogun
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Shogun »

Thanks for the replies, people.

I'm definitely browsing around the board and trying to pick out information and looking at projects others have done to try to get an idea of how to best develop my own. Some great replies here that will definitely help me out. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

phedre
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by phedre »

I'm new here and also new to cross stitching (I've only been doing it for about a month) and I just wanted to say that this was a very helpful thread! Now I'm off to read more of the techniques threads for more suggestions :) Thank you all for the help!
WIPs:
- Okami Square
- Final Fantasy VI Monopoly Board

"I feel the itch. The itch to stitch!"