Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

What was your most-expensive cross-stitching project?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
nozomi
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Re: What was your most-expensive cross-stitching project?

Post by nozomi »

Yurtle wrote:The most expensive kit I've bought was about $55, I think. But to complete a project, my most expensive has probably been about $300, once the framing is all done. And that one I gave to my sister who has shoved it in her basement basically behind a cabinet. I kind of want to go take it from her. That thing took me 5 years to finish and she doesn't seem to even like it!
Ouch, what was it?
Nozomi.

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Yurtle »

I actually can't remember what the most expensive kit I bought was. It might have been a wizard kit that's pretty detailed.

The one I made for my sister was a dragon/castle design from Teresa Wentzler.

LinkIsMyHomeboy
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by LinkIsMyHomeboy »

Honestly, I think the most I've spent on one project is probably $20. I haven't done anything near as elaborate as some of you, but I do plan to eventually. I have probably spent close to $1000 on supplies, though. I have bought TONS of patterns, small-medium kits, skeins and skeins of thread, needles, hoops, mats, frames, aida...not to mention the containers I have this stuff stored in. I will probably have to make sure I teach my offspring to cross-stitch so the stuff doesn't go to waste. Haha.

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

The most I spent was $65 and it was on one of the Disney Dreams ones that I couldn't find. I found it on eBay after looking for a few months and basically told myself that if I don't get it now, who knows when I'll see it again?

Then I ordered it and when I went to Hobby Lobby the following weekend and wouldn't you know it was there for $35...lol that's my luck though! :)
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

yessamaca
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by yessamaca »

I've spent at least 50euro before on a kit, but that was Jip and Janneke so not so easy to find outside of the Netherlands. We wanted them for the kids' room but I'm pretty sure there's no way I can finish them before both girls have left for college.

I don't know how much I spent but it was really expensive buying supplies in NL. They were asking 3euro per skein of floss. At the time, I couldn't find a website that sold individual colors. So I bought only what I absolutely needed and then when we went to the States I pretty much bought out the floss section at Hobby Lobby. This was almost 7 years ago and I've only bought a handful of skeins since then.

Oh, I think my Discworld kit was something like 70euro or so, but I'm not sure. It was worth it, though. The floss came nicely labeled so I could start right away.

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

yessamaca wrote:I've spent at least 50euro before on a kit, but that was Jip and Janneke so not so easy to find outside of the Netherlands. We wanted them for the kids' room but I'm pretty sure there's no way I can finish them before both girls have left for college.

I don't know how much I spent but it was really expensive buying supplies in NL. They were asking 3euro per skein of floss. At the time, I couldn't find a website that sold individual colors. So I bought only what I absolutely needed and then when we went to the States I pretty much bought out the floss section at Hobby Lobby. This was almost 7 years ago and I've only bought a handful of skeins since then.

Oh, I think my Discworld kit was something like 70euro or so, but I'm not sure. It was worth it, though. The floss came nicely labeled so I could start right away.
Holy cow, stuff's expensive where you are! :shock:
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

yessamaca
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by yessamaca »

rockinwithrammstein wrote:Holy cow, stuff's expensive where you are! :shock:
It's a little better here than in NL, craft-wise. Floss is cheaper and easier to find, now that I know where to find it. But, yes, everything is stupidly expensive here. We usually end up buying an extra suitcase every time we visit the States to fit all the stuff we buy while we're there. It is really fun, though. Last time we went to Target I just loaded up a shopping cart with kids' clothes in their current sizes and then a size or 2 bigger. The exchange rate is very much in our favor so it's like getting 50% everything we buy in the States. Then we get home and they're asking the equivalent of $20+ for 2 pairs of toddler sized tights and I want to cry.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

to be honest I have a weak spot for buying crafting materials, I think I once spent £100 at Hobbycraft (our equivalent to hobby lobby) and that was on one kit and the rest was skeins. No way would I do that now.

Is there anything in particular you are in need of? Perhaps I have some spare items I could send to you? Also ask Blackmageheart to see whats in the vault.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

nozomi
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by nozomi »

QueenBex wrote:Is there anything in particular you are in need of? Perhaps I have some spare items I could send to you? Also ask Blackmageheart to see whats in the vault.
Who me? Nah, but thank you though. I was just curious about the typical cost for a project. I thought ~$70 for a kit was unusually high, but I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time the other day and spotted ~$50 kits for Disney. Thanks though!
Nozomi.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Righto! I'm sure theres a thread somewhere where you can put requests for things, theres definately a trade one....
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC