Pen Pals!

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: New Idea... What Do You Think?

Post by kuja.girl »

sounds cool but I've had pen pals before and frankly, I'm just not good at writing letters so I too will sit this one out.
I have enough trouble knowing what to write in a birthday card somedays... >.>
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

shanoa
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by shanoa »

I really like this idea! I've always wanted a pen pal, and it seems that, like hand crafts, writing an actual letter to someone else is falling by the wayside. You don't really hear about folks with pen pals these days.

Besides, I like having an excuse to use this :mail: emote! OOH and I totally forgot we have this :write: one! And when we can't read each other's handwriting because we all type too much we could use this :rules: one!
Current Projects:
Frederick the Literate kit

SheWhoRoars
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by SheWhoRoars »

This would be so cool! We tried doing pinpals from China when I was in middleschool, but then my teacher just put the letters away and never gave them back. I must admit to feeling more than slightly heartbroken. And handwritten letters are so rare, they could definetally make mail more excitind and not the same old hum and drum of bills and spam. :yahoo:

mushiva2000
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by mushiva2000 »

It sounds great and something magical. I grew up in Japan and I am really excited every time when I find letter or card from far country in my post.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

That's freaky timing, I just started being pen pals with Remy :)

It's a brilliant idea, anyone want to pen pal with me, send me a PM.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

lightningbolt658
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by lightningbolt658 »

I like this idea so I'm in! Let me know when we might start something up!
WIP:
Epic Pokémon Generation I - Completed 18/30 pages
Tinkerbell - On Page 1/4

Future Projects:
Super Mario World Map
Set of 6 Super Mario World Mini-Maps
30+ cross stitch kits that I own

Recently Completed:
Puppy Love

Remy
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Remy »

I agree with Bex it is freaky timing. It also is wonderful opening a letter written to you 'just because' and really brightens your day. I'd be game as well once I get past this month and can catch my breath on disasters. I also apologize to any one who sees my hand writing. I have seriously long nails (read talons) that grow too fast that bite into my hand when I use a pen.

acidMiasma
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by acidMiasma »

I would really like this, howevet I fear I would just stop writing cuz I wouldn't know what to say.. I'm horrible with small talk and just gabbing about what's going on in my world :/ I guess I just feel like no one really cares, but I enjoy hearing about others lives so.. I'm a bit of a connundrum haha. I'm going to say count me in :D

As for the "how" part of it.. Maybe a random selection, not necessarily 'paired' tho, shuffled every 3 months or so? You start writing to someone, and someone different writes to you. Essentially we all start with two penpals. 3 months should be enough time to write a few letters and get to know each other more and decide if you want to remain penpals. Also 3 months is not a large amount of time inbetween penpals if one or both of your partners happen to not work out very well.
If two penpals is too much, it could always be done in pairs the same way. I just figured 2 penpals would mean a better chance of no one having to be without one :)
Image:: Mia
:: This statement is false.

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by no_need »

I have been umm-ing and ah-ing, but you know what? Count me in. I am rubbish at getting to know new people, so hopefully this will help me get better at it. In normal circumstances I'm always worried that I'm annoying people if I ask them questions or chat to them for too long, but in this case that's the whole point, so I won't worry!
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

Asphodel
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Asphodel »

I really like the idea BMH came up with about cycling so everyone gets postcards from all around the world - that would be pretty cool but guess it would take quite a bit of organising.... Penpals is a great idea though I'd be up for that too, everyone gets emails but that snail mail letter (that isn't a bill!!) is something that bit more special :nod
Current Projects: LTTP Light World Map 11/15 complete
Next Project:
Game of Thrones / Super Mario World Mash-up map