Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

OCT Challenge - Zodiac

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Re: OCT Challenge - Zodiac

Post by QueenBex »

Miss Clawful wrote: The patterns are there, just download and put in whatever programs you work with. I work straight from Paint.

Like this:

You mean this Aries? From the Famicom game Last Armageddon:
Righto! :)
Yeah! Looks so devilish and awesome!

I'm hoping to get my entries up tomorrow, but this week is hectic and I'm worried I won't be able to get them up if I can't tomorrow. I have my volunteer job on Friday, my comic shop is having another round of Halloween fest, and I missed the first one, then there's the launch of NaNoWriMo with my regional group having a get together before a live midnight launch... And it's Halloween (not that I go trick or treating but it kinda freaks me out in a way, I won't go into that).

I would've tried uploading them in my lunch break on Friday but that's when I plan to go to my comic shop...
So I'd probably get to a computer on Sunday after all that. :p

Or, I can try taking pics with my phone and upload them from there, but I wouldn't be able to resize them and they'd probably be huge!

Any.suggestions? Or would anyone be able and willing to resize my pictures for me if I do it via my phone?

Sorry for the big explanation :sorry:
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Miss Clawful »

Well, finally came up with something. So happy with this. :)

NES Zodiac - Leo

PATTERN:

MATERIAL:
Plastic Canvas (14ct)

COLORS (DMC):
Black
White
951 - Tawny
301 - Medium Mahogany
402 - Very Light Mahogany

total colors: 5

DATE/TIME:
Started stitching: October 29th 2014
Finished stitching: October 30th 2014
375 minutes = 6 hours 15 minutes

TOTAL STITCHES:

PROGRESS LOG:
Spoiler
10/29/2014
3:20pm-5:20pm - got black outline done
7:00pm-8:00pm - got white done on letters and star
8:20pm-9:55pm - got medium mahogany done
10:05pm-10:15pm - got tawny done on star
10:20pm-11:00pm - got very light mahogany done

10/30/2014
12:25am-1:15am - got all tawny done on lion - done!
NOTES:
Spoiler
I struggled to come up with a satisfying idea for the Sprite Stitch Zodiac Challenge. Had plenty of ideas, just that they just didn't click for me. I was going to pass on even bothering to stitch anything for this, then just a few days til end of challenge one of them just comes together. Magically, instantaneously what I had been wanting just appeared in my head and I eagerly got the sprites together that I needed for it.

This was perfect, clever and just so damn cute! :) Everything that I wanted was there, the lion (from Kirby's Adventure), the Zodiac sign (from Solomon's Key, used as the lion's tail), and the name (letters from Ultima: Quest of the Avatar), and threw in an extra with the star (also from Kirby's Adventure, was going to use a sun but none were working right with this). And for a change, done on plastic canvas, a rarely used material for me. I am so happy with how this turned out, and that I got at least this one done before challenge was over with.

Not sure what I'll do with it, maybe attach a lobster claw to it and can hook it to my handbag or something. Still having much difficulty with Scorpio, gathered together a whole bunch of NES scorpion sprites but problem with scorpions in games, rarely have character to them (typically a minor stock enemy that moves back and forth), well lions don't much either (though are usually used as bosses), just lucked out that Kirby's Adventure had one of those and that's the one I kept focusing on.

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Miss Clawful »

NES Zodiac - Scorpio

PATTERN:

MATERIAL:
White Aida (14ct)

COLORS (DMC):
Black

total colors: 1

DATE/TIME:
Started stitching: October 30th 2014
Finished stitching: October 30th 2014
220 minutes = 3 hours 40 minutes

TOTAL STITCHES:

PROGRESS LOG:
Spoiler
10/30/2014
8:30pm-10:30pm - got scorpion done
10:30pm-12:10am - got sign and name done
NOTES:
Spoiler
Ever since the Sprite Stitch Zodiac Challenge started I'd been trying to come up with something for Scorpio, nothing satisfied me.

First I played around with the idea of a creating a manticore, kind of using both my girlfriend's sign and my own, but was more of something I wanted to draw, but as usual could never get myself to put a pencil to paper, and didn't get too far with sprites for this but did spend some time on it. One idea of a few was to have a lioness with a scorpion riding on her back, scorpion's legs wrapped about the lion's body holding on while they combat some unknown foe together, both attacking with tails, the tip of the lion's tail a lit with fire, the scorpion's frosted over.

At one point I suddenly had an idea of a scorpion with boggly eyes like a Trouter from Super Mario Bros 2 and when looking at the sprite immediately saw a scorpion in it. Idea coming into more focus when I looked at the Ostro enemy in that game too, its head looking like a scorpion tail and stinger. Added claws from Clawgrip, but then decided the boggle eyes didn't quite look right for it so used those from Hoopster instead. So during some boredom created a scorpion from a mash up of SMB2 enemies.

Next I did two scorpions from Deadly Towers holding the Scorpio sign from Solomon's Key, then I got distracted with wanting to do every zodiac signs.

Once I got back to it I had an idea of a Metal Gear themed stitch, using the scorpion enemies from that game and the cardboard box with the zodiac sign on it. I went through quite a bit of revisions for this one but still it wasn't quite what I wanted.

Next, used the stage select code for TMNT 2 to get to the stage with the robot scorpions, once I had the sprite I had an idea for it that I thought would be cool. With it firing a laser beam from its tail, the zodiac sign faintly visible in the beam of light. Eh, still not quite right.

I was thinking about how I was trying to round up every NES scorpion sprite I could find and looking at a robot scorpion from Megaman 4 which don't consist of much, just a roundish body with eyes and a tail extending out from the back of it, which somehow looks more like a vacuum cleaner to me, I occurred to me that is exactly what I could do with it. So I put together something with that theme, involving the Scorpio Vac sucking up a scorpion that is panicking to get away. Turned out really cute, and I was going to stitch it, on plastic canvas, but didnt' have enough to work with for the pattern size, plus not enough time anyway.

Okay, now what? Then suddenly I see something unusual, I flipped the whirling sprite that I had gotten from Dive Man in Megaman 4 and noticed how it looked just like the Scorpio sign. Hmm. I went back to the TMNT 2 scorpion. Since its tail is made up of a half dozen disconnected balls I thought well they could be replaced with anything, so put each of the letters from Scorpio there. Then put the Scorpio sign I just discovered, using that as the tip of the tail and stinger. Then drained all the color from the scorpion and hey, that's pretty good. Bizarre but it works, I like it.

ladycass
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by ladycass »

Miss Clawful wrote:Well, finally came up with something. So happy with this. :)

This is really cute, I love the font on the Leo, lots of flair

*love* the tip of the tail on the Scorpion

:good:
That which does not kill me shall regret ever having tried.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Squeezed that one in, didn't you? :P I like the concept (and, of course, the execution)! I agree, using the symbol as part of the stinger is inspired!
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Aquarius.JPG
Aquarius.JPG (42.58 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
FLUDD The water bearer
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Cancer.JPG
Cancer.JPG (49.72 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
Crabmeat the crab!

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Gemini.JPG
Gemini.JPG (51.02 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
Team Rocket twins...kinda

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Pieces.JPG
Pieces.JPG (49.32 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
Cheep Cheep the fish

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Sagittarius.JPG
Sagittarius.JPG (40.88 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
Kid Icarus that one guy