4 - green
35%

Total votes: 60

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: 2013 Charity Quilt Creating

Post by tnitnetny »

Thanks guys! I tried something new this year to show off the squares more. I will use the green in the Child's play quilt. I don't know if I will put another border on the other quilt yet, working on that one now.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Wow! I really like what you've done this year, very nice! The other green will look fine, I'm sure.

Once you're done quilting, shall I make up the certificates? :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Yup! As soon as I get the tops done, I will post pictures so you can start organizing it.

I was thinking this year let's add the country the participant is from. We have such a diverse group of people I would love to have that highlighted.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

That looks so awesome, even though it isn't done yet. Also, I'd love the $5 raffle idea. Not sure if there'd be enough interest to make it worthwhile, but I'd totally be in.

drdenman
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by drdenman »

funkymonkey wrote:That looks so awesome, even though it isn't done yet. Also, I'd love the $5 raffle idea. Not sure if there'd be enough interest to make it worthwhile, but I'd totally be in.
Maybe we could borrow a crowdfunding site to do the raffle and ensure that it has enough interest before actually doing it.
For example. If we want to raise a minimum of $100 from the quilt(just a random number for use of illustration, of course) and we want to sell tickets for 5 dollars then all we have to do is set the goal as 100 dollars and the pledge prizes $5 for one raffle entry. Then we can set a deadline and if we don't sell $100 in raffle tickets, then the raffle doesn't happen and everyone who signed up doesn't have to pay. But one difficulty that I can see right now is finding a crowdfunding that will allow us to use their program as a raffle... Kickstarter doesn't allow that(but they have all sorts of funky rules)

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

The biggest problem with that is sites like that must be reported to the government as "income". Because it is "fundraising" it is taxed at a 40% rate which is money taken from the charity.

We have three options that I will consider that will raise the most money for the charity. 1) an auction like we did last year. 2) I take the quilt to Magfest or DC Comic Con and have it auctioned off live. 3) a Raffle.

These are the only options that wouldn't take any money out of what we raise.

Servotron
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Servotron »

I think taking the quilt to one of the cons would be the best idea, didn't you say the guy who runs Magfest was pretty interested in the idea?
Image Image Image Image

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

They were and I am personally running the charity raising at DC Comic Con. Even though it is later in April I would lean to the DC one since it gets more publicity and the people that attend have a LOT more money. The only thing that makes me hesitant about taking it to a con is it would limit the number of people that could bid on it. So if we did, I would maybe have a "silent" auction the week before and see if anyone would outbid that at the con?

After the quilts are finished I will put all three options up and leave it up to all of you to vote what we do with it. When we get enough for 3 quilts, then we can do two of the options. :D

drdenman
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by drdenman »

Ouch! I didn't know those were taxed so heavily. I'll be avoiding those in the future maybe...

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

They are great if you need funding for something and don't have any other way to raise the money, and I also give money to them quite often. But there is a reason they ask for a lot more than what they need a lot of times, taxes sucks a lot up. It just wouldn't be practical for anything that is charity based.