JAN/FEB Challenge - Portraits!

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Re: JAN/FEB Challenge - Portraits!

Post by QueenBex »

Impressive Ashtar! :clapping:
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

kuja.girl wrote:so now you get a WIP shot.
Is that Kuja? I was falling asleep in my chair and in my haze I thought I saw him for a moment :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Tonight's work. Got almost all of what I messed up restitched. There's one spot, however, that I haven't gotten to yet that is visible still. I got bored with black and so changed colors to...gray! lol
20130112_030717.jpg
20130112_030717.jpg (114.61 KiB) Viewed 3497 times

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Miss Clawful »

Well, going to have to find something else to cross-stitch as this morning I completely took the Karate Kid in-progress one apart.

I had been wanting to do this one for ages and thought for certain it'd turn out really well, but I just was not satisfied with it. Note: a whole paragraph was taken out here because it suddenly occurred to me how inappropriate and insensitive some of my choice of words were. I couldn't figure out how best to reword it so took it out completely. And my sincere appologies to any that I may have offended, it was not my intention. In the end, the character faces I felt were inadequate representations of the movie and real life persons the game art is taken from.

So, yeah, this project is cancelled. Was only doing this one now because my mom wanted this one, was going to make it for her for Christmas, glad I didn't attempt it then. But got some other options for this challenge, my only problem, time.

I had thought about doing this one from Strider:

Been thinking of doing this one for some time now, but will have to see, having a lot of complications in my life at this very moment, but going to try to keep cross-stitching regardless. Is this one portrait enough? Because while he looks cool and it is a character's face, with the scarf in a wind blown motion, makes me think this to be more of an action pose than a still portrait, otherwise perhaps I can find something else.
Last edited by Miss Clawful on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Miss Clawful. It's terrible when you just can't look at a project anymore - I understand how you feel! The best thing you can do is to put it out of your mind and do something else :nod

And I see you already have another idea!
Miss Clawful wrote: Is this one portrait enough? Because while he looks cool and it is a character's face, with the scarf in a wind blown motion, makes me think this to be more of an action pose than a still portrait
I do know what you mean, it is kind of action-y.

Wikipedia defines portraits as:
Wikipedia wrote:...a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person.
I think your Strider picture does fit this. While the challenge is called portraits, I know that it's not always possible to get the character you want in a traditional portrait style. So I am allowing anything as long as it has your chosen character's head in it!

On that note, if you want to stitch up the Strider piece, please do - it will be welcome :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Miss Clawful »

Okay! Thank you. Now, hopefully I have enough time before leaving out for work today to grab up all the right colors for this one and I can start stitching on my lunch break.

monkeypeaches
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by monkeypeaches »

Miss Clawful wrote:Okay! Thank you. Now, hopefully I have enough time before leaving out for work today to grab up all the right colors for this one and I can start stitching on my lunch break.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who stitches on breaks at work :D I even make my boyfriend drive us everywhere so that I can play passenger and have even 10 minutes extra of stitch time!
My blog is a mishmash of my crafty/nerdy lollygagging
http://whimsydaisical.blogspot.com/

Anime I'm stitching along to: Sailor Moon R or Bleach

Image Image Image

monkeypeaches
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by monkeypeaches »

Alrighty, here's my sneak peak! I stitched up the most recognizable part of the project first, so most of you can probably guess who is going to be in this portrait.....

I don't think it's going to look as complex as some other projects that you amazing stitchers will produce, but I'm still pretty proud! This is only my 4th cross stitching project, and my largest so far. Plus, it's the first time I've ever made my own pattern. That part of the process was super fun! I can't wait to make more patterns in the future. And I can't wait to see what everyone else enters for the challenge :D Happy Stitching!
My blog is a mishmash of my crafty/nerdy lollygagging
http://whimsydaisical.blogspot.com/

Anime I'm stitching along to: Sailor Moon R or Bleach

Image Image Image

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Ooh, I wonder who that hat could belong to...! :grin:
monkeypeaches wrote:I don't think it's going to look as complex as some other projects that you amazing stitchers will produce, but I'm still pretty proud! This is only my 4th cross stitching project, and my largest so far. Plus, it's the first time I've ever made my own pattern. That part of the process was super fun!
You should see the first one I plan on doing. Complex would definitely not describe it! :D

And congrats on your first pattern! It's an exciting time when you make one, and then more so when you stitch it! :D

SofaraStarfyre
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by SofaraStarfyre »

Well I took a little break from the Sonic quilt square and started my portrait piece. I am working on the first color for the border/frame right now and am excited for this one. This will be my second project that is being done on black Aida.