NOV/DEC activity?

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
YeahYeahYouWere
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: NOV/DEC activity?

Post by YeahYeahYouWere »

silly-kitten71 wrote:
YeahYeahYouWere wrote:I agree, making it Halloween themed puts everyone behind the gun. The problem with a Thanksgiving theme is that it would exclude the people outside the US - not from entering of course, but just doesn't seem fair to make it themed around a US-only holiday.

Though now that I think about it, a "What I am thankful for" themed activity could be fun, because it never hurts to take time to reflect on what you're thankful for - I know that I personally don't do nearly enough reflection on the good in my life and could use an excuse to focus on it!

Thanksgiving is not a US-only holiday, it is Thanksgiving in Canada today :nod
Happy Thanksgiving! I knew Canada had one too, but it's a Monday and it slipped my mind! And in my defense, it does say Nov/Dec activity so Canadian Thanksgiving isn't in the listed range :D (how is that for trying to cover my butt lol)
Current Projects: Legend of Zelda Magnet Set, Mario Kart coasters (50% done - Mario and Peach finished, Yoshi and Luigi or Toad pending)
Finished Projects: Assorted Coasters, Mega Man 2 Robot Master Magnets, Angry Birds Magnets

silly-kitten71
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by silly-kitten71 »

Happy Thanksgiving! I knew Canada had one too, but it's a Monday and it slipped my mind! And in my defense, it does say Nov/Dec activity so Canadian Thanksgiving isn't in the listed range :D (how is that for trying to cover my butt lol)[/quote]

I'll let you have that one - since it is after all a Monday lol

Lijnloos
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Lijnloos »

How about not so much seasons (all though I'm all for it, I would love to figure out a nice pattern with 4 seasons) but a more, end of the year-theme... so christmas, thanksgiving, haloween, new-years-eve... all those things can be combined? Kind of Finish 2010-theme!

comatosegrl
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by comatosegrl »

Lijnloos wrote:How about not so much seasons (all though I'm all for it, I would love to figure out a nice pattern with 4 seasons) but a more, end of the year-theme... so christmas, thanksgiving, haloween, new-years-eve... all those things can be combined? Kind of Finish 2010-theme!
I kinda like this idea. Picking whatever holiday. Gives us more of a range of things to do, I think seasons would be a little to limiting.
You're like a walking encyclopedia of weirdness

riotpatch
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by riotpatch »

I like the seasons idea best so far.

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Lunariah wrote:What about some of the ideas that have been suggested for other challenges, but weren't chosen. Stained glass and zodiac signs were two I remember off the top of my head.

I'd also like to suggest a seasonal theme. One submission that features winter, spring, summer and autumn or any combination of seasons.
I like the idea of doing one on previous ideas, cos there were some good ideas, but once they weren't selected they were kinda forgotten. Would be good to give them a second chance!

Although the idea of a seasonal theme sounds quite cool, all four seasons in one stitch isn't going to be small...

If we choose an event based challenge, shouldn't it be new year related, as voting will happen in the new year?

Edit:
OR!
'The Science Of Video Games'

You could so stuff like johloh's evolution of mario enemies:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2431&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=evolution
Or the 'Of course I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?' tshirt:
http://www.gamergrrlz.net/2010/05/i-sel ... kemon.html

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Yurtle »

Not sure if I'd be able to participate because I have projects lining up out the door and since I'm a bit of a Christmas kook so my opinion would be sort of biased. BUT, Mario is red and so is Santa Claus! :) I'm a dork, I know. Could you imagine how many holiday video game themed projects we could come up with? That would be kind of awesome! But I do fully support the idea of pulling up an old idea as well.

tigressmellora
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by tigressmellora »

I'm thinking of farther down the road: Next year you could try a combination of a year long thing and the monthly ones. In Utah, the quilters have what is called a Round Robin. You send the beginnings of your project to a specified person and they will add on to that person's project. For the purposes of here, a popular one would be to have a cross stitching category, and the person can either add onto a current cross stitch or a bunch of patterns included (fairly easy ones) and the person gets to chose one of the not done to do and add it to the stack. The time line is when you have it, you have until the end of the month you are supposed to have it to get it in the mail to the next person on the list.

The monthly challenges can still go on as you'd like.

Any other questions about it, I'll be happy to answer.

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

tigressmellora wrote:I'm thinking of farther down the road: Next year you could try a combination of a year long thing and the monthly ones. In Utah, the quilters have what is called a Round Robin. You send the beginnings of your project to a specified person and they will add on to that person's project. For the purposes of here, a popular one would be to have a cross stitching category, and the person can either add onto a current cross stitch or a bunch of patterns included (fairly easy ones) and the person gets to chose one of the not done to do and add it to the stack. The time line is when you have it, you have until the end of the month you are supposed to have it to get it in the mail to the next person on the list.
So if I have this right, we have a MASSIVE bit of aida, and every one has a set size (say 50 pixels square) which they can do whatever they want with? Cool idea... although what happens to it at the end?

riotpatch
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by riotpatch »

Lord Libidan wrote: So if I have this right, we have a MASSIVE bit of aida, and every one has a set size (say 50 pixels square) which they can do whatever they want with? Cool idea... although what happens to it at the end?
We could do a draw for it including everyone who participated.