Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Another new guy with access to perler beads!

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Sid
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Another new guy with access to perler beads!

Post by Sid »

Like I said in the Intro thread, I totally blame this site for my current obsession with beads. For the future, I'm planning to do something that also involves wood and cloth, but I'll have to see how that works out later on. For now, I'll just post two images with four characters in total (all images are clickable thumbnails). Basic instructions and how-to tips came from this tutorial (which was also featured on this site), and the "patterns" came straight from Sprites INC.

Starting off with a classic scene. Mega Man and his (arguably) most well-known non-boss enemy. I have a love/hate relationship with those Metools, really. They're absolutely adorable, and I admire the fact that they are completely invulnerable as long as they lay low. On the other hand, they managed to shove me down into way too many bottomless pits, and their "invulnerable whenever they're not firing at you" thing really makes me howl in rage.

Ahhhhhhh, Rush! I always loved Rush. He was Mega Man's cool sidekick with all the awesome built-in gadgets. Don't get me wrong, I also liked the three Items in MM2, but Rush had style. However, I'm apparently somewhat in the minority with this view (see for example Bob and George and Mega Man 3 DX). Oh well.

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Another new guy with access to perler beads!

Post by benjibot »

Hey, the next thing I was going to make out of perler beads was going to be that little hardhat-wearing robot. I never knew their name until now on account of I'm really terrible at Mega Man. I'd even kind of forgotten that Mega Man comes in a wide variety of colors. Like I said, really terrible.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

biostitch2point0
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by biostitch2point0 »

Oh yeah :cool: . My brothers are crazy about megaman. I never really got into it but my bros have forced a fondness for the game on me nevertheless.

poetinme
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by poetinme »

must.buy.a.bucket!

great megaman!!

Sid
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Sid »

Thanks for the comments! :)
benjibot wrote:Hey, the next thing I was going to make out of perler beads was going to be that little hardhat-wearing robot. I never knew their name until now on account of I'm really terrible at Mega Man. I'd even kind of forgotten that Mega Man comes in a wide variety of colors. Like I said, really terrible.
Great minds think alike, I guess :cool:
And I just know the name through other venues (like webcomics, other generations of games such as Mega Man Zero, or anime). It's also called Metall, Met Hat, or just Met, but I like "Metool" the most somehow.
poetinme wrote:must.buy.a.bucket!
If you mean a bucket of beads, then I actually only had to buy one as an afterthought (and even then, it hadn't been a proper bucket - just a mixed bag) because I couldn't find a stand-alone bag of the skin tone in the local shops. The entire rest was assembled using dedicated color bags because I figured I'd need a ton of those blue tones as well as white/black, anyway. I now want to order the missing color online, but I'm not 100% certain what it's actually called. The bag contained the regular bright skin tone, a somewhat paler version of it, and a version that is between the pale tone and a very light brown. I used the last one, but I'll have to see if I can pinpoint it. Then again, the small bags aren't exactly expensive, so I might buy the two closest matches and sort it out once I get them. We'll see.

jmdennisyourface
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by jmdennisyourface »

I like 'em. I made a scene with Mega Man fighting Metal Man and hung them from suction cups in my front window. Sadly, they all stayed up for about 9 months, then fell within one week of each other, metal blades included. Pretty much everything broke apart when they hit the ground.
What do you do with your sprites once you've finished them?

Sid
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Sid »

jmdennisyourface wrote:I like 'em. I made a scene with Mega Man fighting Metal Man and hung them from suction cups in my front window. Sadly, they all stayed up for about 9 months, then fell within one week of each other, metal blades included. Pretty much everything broke apart when they hit the ground.
What do you do with your sprites once you've finished them?
Oh dear God, that would break my heart, I think. So sorry to hear it broke apart... :cry:
And I actually don't know what to do with them yet. Right now, they're just on the table. I guess I'll eventually pin them to my wall... once I figure out the safest way to do so. I might glue them onto some sort of base (cardboard maybe), but I'm not sure yet. I like the thought of being able to check out both sides, so I might try to do this with thin needles alone.