Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

So...What Are You Reading Now?

Anything goes!
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: So...What Are You Reading Now?

Post by Firehawke »

Arcade Catastrophe by Brandon Mull (okay...technically I'm listening to it :P)
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

the_antithesis
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by the_antithesis »

I'm re-reading The Black Star by Lin Carter. I discovered this book thanks to the article "A Well-Tempered Plot Device" by Nick Lowe where Lowe uses this book as an example of how to write poorly. He refers to it as the handbook. It is pretty *-awful even past the reasons given in the article. Fascinatingly so. Kind of sad, though, since Carter had intended to make it the first in a trilogy but the following two were never published. This is made even more sad given that Carter had published a non-fiction book on the history of fantasy called Imaginary Worlds around that same time and had Quixotely used excerpts from the unpublished second novel as examples of "good" writing. (He found the name Herpes Zoster to be a good fantasy character name)

I don't know what's wrong with me, but you can learn a lot more about writing from bad writing than you can from good writing.

Kittendumpling
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Kittendumpling »

I'm between books at the moment, and am having serious option paralysis about what to read next. :confused:

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

I got a huge collection of classic novels recently (thanks random gift card I found in my purse!) and right now I'm reading Anna Karenina. It's alright so far. I was reading The Idiot, but I just could NOT get into the story. The next book I'm going to read is The Scarlet Letter. Was supposed to read it in high school, but I transferred from my school right before they started and got to my new school right after they finished. I figured I probably should read it in case I missed out on something great lol
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

Aegidia
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Aegidia »

I just finished 'The Buried Giant' by Kazuo Ishiguro. It... is odd. The ending made me cry and made me want to call my boyfriend (I can't, he's working). I like the story, especially after it picks up about 80 pages in, and the otherwordly style, but I could do with a bit less repetition in the dialogue.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Reading the awesome "This Book Is Full Of Spiders...Seriously Dude Don't Touch It" by David Wong (editor at Cracked). It's the sequel to "John Dies At The End" which is also bloody awesome. Tons of horror, comedy and * jokes!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Rockinwithrammstein -> I LOVE Scarlet Letter. Of course, most kids reading it in school hated it but I actually enjoyed it. Of course, I love that period in history so that may have been why. Haha! I should read it again soon as I haven't read it since high school. lol

Let's see...I have finished a few books since I last posted: The Husband's Secret, That Anita Blake book (Circus of the Damned), Creep on the Borderlands (it's part of a raunchy D&D spoof series called Caverns and Creatures. Great comedy for anyone that's done any tabletop rpg gaming), The Book Thief, Feral Heat, City of Bones, Journey Through the Afterlife: Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead, and Heart of Darkness.

I'm currently reading: Egyptian Mythology A-Z (I actually started this book about a year ago and put it down so now I've started it over since I'm kind of on an ancient Egypt kick), Masters of Sex (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Showtime series so wanted to read the book), America's Hidden History, and Fragments (the third book in the Out of Time series by Monique Martin).

Been doing a little bouncing between books, as is apparent by my currently reading list. I just finished Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad so I haven't quite settled on which book I want to go back to (just really depends on whether I want to read via my Kindle App or via Google Books) and I've started a dozen or so books and then get a new one and start that, etc, so I'm trying to focus on getting books I've already started finished.

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

MeiTow wrote:America's Hidden History
How is this book? Is it interesting?

I've been in a history kick ever since I've found non-fiction audiobooks. I've always had a hard time actually reading non-fiction as it made me fall asleep and it's sometimes hard to get passed/understand all the facts. However, when it's read to me, it seems more like someone is telling me more about their background stories, and I love those. Also my library collaborates with an app/website called hoopla digital that allows you to borrow movies, music, and audiobooks that I've fallen in love with (I listen to them at work and can get ~75% of a book done in a shift). In doing this, the last 3 days I've finished 2 books and started a 3rd today. The first one (although it's not a non-fiction but hard for me to read because of all the animal facts/knowledge/semi-non-sense) was Life of Pi, that I thoroughly enjoyed! Definitely would recommend to others but would warn about the animal jumbo in it. The other two are part of a memoir trilogy, Call the Midwife (#1) and Shadows of the Workhouse (#2). All follow a woman, Jenny Lee, in the 1940s/50s in a poor part of London where she is a midwife at a nunnery (she herself wasn't a nun, just worked there). She really just tells stories of all the babies/families that she's encountered and helped, and reminds me of a grandma telling her life to me. Very much worth the read if you're willing.
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I just finished rereading the Eisenhorn trilogy due to my Pariah incident (see above), and then because it was the only thing on my ipad that I hadn't read yet I started Kushiel's Dart, which I'm enjoying.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

SunkistShiek wrote:
MeiTow wrote:America's Hidden History
How is this book? Is it interesting?
I am enjoying it quite a bit. I'm a little bit past halfway through with it. Just got done reading a bit about George Washington and how he might have actually started the war by accidentally killing a bunch of French guys which snapped the frayed diplomacy between France and England. I got it for cheap on Google Play books awhile back and I ended focusing on the Egyptian Mythology book so when I get that done I'll go back to it after I'm done with that.