Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

What games are you playing now, and why?

Anything goes!
Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: What games are you playing now, and why?

Post by Eliste »

Bummer. The basic Tsuro doesn't move their tiles, but not sure how you would represent the ships.

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

RMDC wrote:
I had a weird idea - playing a board game by exchanging stitching. One person stitches her move, and then her opponent stitches his. But I can't think of any games where pieces are placed but not moved or removed afterward. If I could figure that out, then that's the game I'd be playing right now. :P
Well, I can think of two games.
1) Dots and boxes http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/rules/dotsandboxes.php
2) Go-Moku http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/rules/go-moku.php
Maybe Battleship, though I'm not sure, depends on how you exchange the stitching.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Dots and boxes would be great to do like this. Only problem I see is tying off tiny threads would be a bit annoying. You could totally pick a color for each side and satin stitch the boxes in when you make them. :D

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

blackberrybear wrote:2) Go-Moku http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/rules/go-moku.php
Maybe Battleship, though I'm not sure, depends on how you exchange the stitching.
Go-Moku sounds awesome! I just did some searching on Wikipedia. It seems like a really deep game. There is the concern that black has such a strong advantage, but that tournament rule mentioned at your link seems like a good compromise.

I was thinking of Battleship, too. I think you'd have to have one piece of fabric with the two "guessing" upper boards displayed. One person would send the board with a note declaring that round's guess; the opponent would then stitch the hits or misses on the first player's upper board, then send it back with her own guess. Though if it was literally going to be played by mail, I might imagine that guessing three spaces in one mailing would cut down on postage. :P
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Miss Clawful »

Been playing Sword Master on the NES (emulator) for the past several days. I hated this game at first, yet kept trying to play it. Well, just a short while ago I finally beat it (legit), only had 1 death in the game. So finally another new NES game beaten (last one was Grand Master for the Famicom last year), my first for this year. I haven't played much and those that I have were mostly for collecting of sprites needed for cross-stitching, though also have played for fun and in wanting to get savestates for every stage in a game just to have easy access to them in the future, but not this time, Sword Master provided me a challenge I just couldn't walk away from, I had to beat it.

Good things about the game, really awesome detailed graphics and animation pretty good too. Enemy designs are nice large sprites each usually having more than a couple attacks, they are kinda like fighting minibosses all the time, one after another, and the last boss is really cool, very similar to Tanzra at the end of Actraiser 2 on the SNES, a worthy kick ass final boss. Music isn't bad either. Gameplay requires good use of swordplay, both attack and defense must be mastered. Its kinda like the battles in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link when fighting against Ironknuckles and similar foes, or even moreso like Trojan, but usually facing only one opponent at a time. Sword Master's shield though can't be destroyed, and can pretty much block anything, only a matter of how, shield up to block deadly rain magic, duck to block most head on attacks. I like the strategy involved in combat here. Oh, and you can also change into a wizard too, that is once you earn the ability after beating one of the bosses, and each stage thereafter you can get a new spell for this form. The wizard is okay, I tend to shy away from using him since even though he can blast foes from a distance, his magic becomes weak if used too much plus he can't block attacks and enemies know this and tend to rush in close once you change into the wizard form.

But, the bad, I've gotten * off quite a bit due to the character not blocking when he's supposed to, every once in a while he'd get stuck in a tight standing position, shield completely hidden, I'd be trying to block a projectile either up or down and the jerk just stands there and takes the hit, *' annoying cheap ass glitchiness. The other gripe, the double jump rarely works, I've maybe gotten it to work probably 1 in 20 something times. It took me forever to figure out how to pass stage 2 because of these eyeball things that float up and down, they are indestructable and knock you back with the slightest touch, well there's these two near the end of the stage that are very close together over a pit, couldn't pass them, jumping over them is impossible without double jumping, then found out that you can drop off the edge as if going to commit suicide by falling, but if you press jump are able to make an arial leap to avoid death right before you fall in. So another jump from a jump, no good, but a jump after walking off a ledge works every time. There are a few other irritating things as well, but these two being the worst. So it has a few minor issues, but that's kind of the case with many NES games, its just one of those things you just gotta get used to, take account of and deal with it as part of the games' challenge.

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

This week I am playing Super Mario Galaxy, Borderlands 2, Doritos Crash Course 2 and Candy Crush Saga (stupid addictive game!) The bf is playing Doritos Crash Course2 pretty much nonstop - trying to beat his friend's time. If you have xbox live, I'd highly recommend this game, it's free, and fun. Although it can get infuriating, especially if you're trying to beat friends!
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

RMDC wrote:
blackberrybear wrote:2) Go-Moku http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/rules/go-moku.php
Go-Moku sounds awesome! I just did some searching on Wikipedia. It seems like a really deep game. There is the concern that black has such a strong advantage, but that tournament rule mentioned at your link seems like a good compromise.

I was thinking of Battleship, too. I think you'd have to have one piece of fabric with the two "guessing" upper boards displayed. One person would send the board with a note declaring that round's guess; the opponent would then stitch the hits or misses on the first player's upper board, then send it back with her own guess. Though if it was literally going to be played by mail, I might imagine that guessing three spaces in one mailing would cut down on postage. :P
Yeah I'm pretty fond of Go-Moku (even if I lose more games then i win lol). As for the battleship guesses, I've played a version where you start with six shots per turn (one shot per ship with two shots for the five space ship) and as the ships get taken out the amount of shots you get go down. It would be interesting to try though I can see it going though a lot of postage.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

blackberrybear wrote:As for the battleship guesses, I've played a version where you start with six shots per turn (one shot per ship with two shots for the five space ship) and as the ships get taken out the amount of shots you get go down. It would be interesting to try though I can see it going though a lot of postage.
We had actually just bought Battleship to play with our girls when you first mentioned it as a possibility, so now I think I'll try the six-shot game with them to better match their four- and seven-year-old attention spans. :P
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

SheWhoRoars
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by SheWhoRoars »

Harvest Moon is one of those that is constantly being played :3 And I'm getting ready to replay Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance! I've also just started playing Sanctum, and it's been really enjoyable so far :clap:

CraftyCreeper
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by CraftyCreeper »

Minecraft for XBOX! I refused to play Minecraft for a really long time and my brother actually convinced me to try it on XBOX. I'm really enjoying it and I've been playing with my friends a lot. I would love to try it on PC sometime soon but I'm not sure if it would be worth buying since I already have it on console.

Have any of you played it on PC or both PC and XBOX? What are your thoughts on the PC version?