Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Lego Movie costume

non video game related projects...
funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Lego Movie costume

Post by funkymonkey »

Had a "well, duh" moment today on what to use for the rounded knees. What's curved, and smooth, and cardboardy...
Spoiler
emmet08.jpg
emmet08.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
Oh yeah, the same material I am already using.

I attached some small PVC supports (may be used to attach suspenders to). I thought initally I would hinge the curved part to make them easier to step into, but once I put the support in, I realized the hinge wouldn't actually be giving me any more room, so I just sealed them up. I also hadn't thought about since the legs are actually separate, I can put them on one at a time (and thus step into it sideways, alleviating the need for a larger opening).
Spoiler
emmet09.jpg
emmet09.jpg (40.83 KiB) Viewed 6059 times

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

I have a feeling this thread is going to be referenced by costume builders for years to come. :nod
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Finished the second foam hand, and finished out the legs. I added some extra foam board inside the foot to make it easier to control how it moves. I also attached a shoulder strap to hold the leg up. I sewed it around the support bar in the front, and actually sewed through the foam board on the back side to secure it. I taped over both with packing tape to keep the stitches from getting pulled out.
Spoiler
emmet10.jpg
emmet10.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 6028 times
Spoiler
emmet11.jpg
emmet11.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 6028 times
The next one I'm sticking my leg straight out so you can see how I'm using my foot to brace against the foam on the inside. This turned out to be easier than using velcro or anything to attach my leg to it; instead, I just use my toes to hold it in place (imagine how you would use your toes to hold onto a shoe that's a bit too loose, that's pretty much how i'm controlling the leg. With the shoulder strap, if I shug my shoulders up, it pulls the leg up high enough that my foot sticks out below it, and I can walk fairly normally if I need better mobility.
Spoiler
emmet12.jpg
emmet12.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 6028 times

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I really can't wait to see the final costume. This is going to be amazing.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

It's really taking shape now. It will be AWESOME! :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Sweeeeet!!! This is amazing!! Especially how you're making sure it's easy to manoeuvre around in! :)
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

gahh... so much left to do!! wishing i didn't have to work today, or go to a meeting tonight... sounds like it may be an all-nighter.

Got a bicycle helmet mounted inside the head, so it should turn with me and not fall off, haha. This picture was taken before i cut the mouth/eye holes, so I had to attempt to take a selfie without being able to see where i was pointing the camera. In addition to this shot, I somehow managed to take a photo burst of 12 pictures of my feet. I don't even know how to take a photo burst. I also claim no responsibility for what my non-camrea hand is doing.
Spoiler
emmet13.jpg
emmet13.jpg (39.54 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Also, spray painted the main body yesterday. Doing the head this morning, and any touch ups to the rest. Will do details, make the work vest (out of orange burlap), sew the ARMS, and take final pictures tonight! (or tomorrow morning, more likely)
Spoiler
emmet14.jpg
emmet14.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
It took exactly one can of orange to cover the legs, so I hope I don't need any touch-ups! I did the backs of the legs last, hoping to cover well enough everywhere else. Unexpected problem: the black branding on the cardboard tube was very hard to cover. Once I realized, I covered the rest with masking tape to hide the lettering. Hopefully it won't be obvious on the head after I paint it.

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

It's looking amazing!!! I'm really enjoying seeing the process you've gone through to make it
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Go, go, go! You're in the home stretch! :yahoo:
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Ok, here was my point of no return. Put the whole thing on (minus the arms which haven't been made yet) and test out the visibility and mobility (a.k.a. can I even move in this thing).

Result: difficult. But possible :) Possible enough that I will power through tonight to get this thing done.
Spoiler
emmet15.jpg
emmet15.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
I decided to cut the helmet out of the head, and just affix it permanently to the torso. I will lose the rotation, but honestly it wasn't very easy to turn the head anyway, and it was weird if i tilted my head, the neck opened up too much. It was a good idea, but simpler is better in this case.

If there are any night owls out there, stay tuned!