Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Bowser Mario Kart

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
Semsem
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Bowser Mario Kart

Post by Semsem »

Hi! I just wanted to share with you the custom quilt I'm working on. This is just the quilt top and requires more work but you get the idea.
bowser.jpg
bowser.jpg (213.62 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Bowser Mario Kart

Post by Firehawke »

How fun! You've put a lot of work into that...good luck finishing it!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Aegidia
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Aegidia »

Looks great! How big are the individual squares?

Semsem
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Semsem »

Here's the finished quilt. The person who commissioned it absolutely loved it! The squares are 2" finished.
bowser 1 (673x800).jpg
bowser 1 (673x800).jpg (407.47 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Bowser 4 (650x800).jpg
Bowser 4 (650x800).jpg (260.94 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Bowser 3 (683x800).jpg
Bowser 3 (683x800).jpg (357.48 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

Awesome! He came out really well. No wonder the recipient loved it!

I have a somewhat random question, as someone who knows very little about quilting. Does the stitching through the squares that looks like all squiggley lines do anything structurally? I always thought it looked cool in old quilts that I had as a child, but I've noticed that not all quilts have it. Yours just reminded me, so I thought I'd ask. :D

Also, you mentioned the squares are 2 inches, but how big is your border? I'm wondering because with the blanket I'm crocheting, my squares are also 2 inches and I'm trying to determine how big the finished blanket should be. Sorry for the interrogation. :P

*edit- wording

Semsem
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Semsem »

TigerLily wrote: I have a somewhat random question, as someone who knows very little about quilting. Does the stitching through the squares that looks like all squiggley lines do anything structurally? I always thought it looked cool in old quilts that I had as a child, but I've noticed that not all quilts have it. Yours just reminded me, so I thought I'd ask. :D

Also, you mentioned the squares are 2 inches, but how big is your border? I'm wondering because with the blanket I'm crocheting, my squares are also 2 inches and I'm trying to determine how big the finished blanket should be. Sorry for the interrogation. :P
The stitching all over is the actual "quilting" that makes it a quilt. It keeps all of the layers together and gives it a stiffness that I love. Without that, the middle layer (batting) would move all over and it could get lumpy. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to keep your quilting fairly tight so that there are no big gaps. The tighter you quilt it, the stiffer it will be. There are times when I want it softer in which case I will leave more space. Some quilts that you see may be quilting "in the ditch" which means right along the seam lines so you can't see it on the front. If they are not doing any of that, I wouldn't call it a true quilt.

I think that I added about 8" to each side and maybe 12" to each of the top and bottom. The size I was going for was 70x80 and I think it was pretty close.

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

Thanks for the quick lesson! I've also seen some where the quilting is in different patterns. I really like the way yours is though. That's the 'shape' I always used to see them.

Also thanks for the measurements. :D