Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Super Mario World Map WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Super Mario World Map WIP

Post by funkymonkey »

benefields wrote:Is this stitch or embroidery? It looks fantastic so far. I like having outlines to make it feel like coloring once you start filling it in.
Thanks! It's cross stitch on 18ct aida. It's so huge that when I show the whole thing, it's hard to tell. I'll show some close-ups when I get to coloring. I think of it like a coloring book as well; get the lines in, then just years of mindless stitching :) Will still have to count a bit, but the outlines will help a lot. Do the hard work up front when it isn't as painful to pick out if I have to.

Krysta
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Krysta »

Not a big update. Free time is precious nowadays. But progress is progress. I'll soon switch to another project of mine, because that's long overdue.
For now though, here's this.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Yay for progress!!! Love seeing how you have your aida marked!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Pulled out my old WIP this week, and finished the left half. Since the last time I worked on it, I have gotten more sizes of Q-snap frames, so now I can build one that's the perfect size for this! Love my q-snaps; so light. I only feel comfortable using them if the entire stitched area fits inside though; I feel like it clamps too tightly and it could damage stitches if you had to clamp over them.
Spoiler
smw-star06.jpg
smw-star06.jpg (105.52 KiB) Viewed 5704 times

yafashelli
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by yafashelli »

funkymonkey wrote:Pulled out my old WIP this week, and finished the left half. Since the last time I worked on it, I have gotten more sizes of Q-snap frames, so now I can build one that's the perfect size for this! Love my q-snaps; so light. I only feel comfortable using them if the entire stitched area fits inside though; I feel like it clamps too tightly and it could damage stitches if you had to clamp over them.
Spoiler
smw-star06.jpg
Your star map looks amazing! :nod

:clap: I have three weeks left until school lets out and then I'll be back onto the main map! Teacher is going to need a few extra men to make it through. :P :1up :1up :1up

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Wow...this map is looking great!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Jennuh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Jennuh »

Awesome! I love the Star Map! I'm currently working on the Valley of Bowser map of this game & on my to do list is definitely that whole world one. :)
Image Image Image

JemmaJ
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by JemmaJ »

WOW! That is amazing! I need to get myself some more Q-Snap pieces! I should have bought some when I was in the US this summer.
Just keep stitching...

Jemma's Stitchery | Stitch Blog: Dreaming In Aida | Instagram & Twitter: @JemmaJH

WIPs:
A Very Merry Christmas Town
Stitching for Charity 2016/17
KLT Charting: Russian Dolls SAL
and many more...

3inches
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by 3inches »

Hey all! I'm loving the work, is everyone still going? Any completed pictures to show off?

aimee
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by aimee »

I just started on this this week :D I've been dreaming of doing it for 3 years now--I did Servo's Mario Through the Ages a couple of years ago, then the Mario 3 World 1 map, then a Zelda-related piece, and finished this up last week:

I started on that maybe a week before my son was born... I had no idea how hard it was to stitch with a newborn around so I just finished it, I think 2 days after he turned 6 months old lol. I feel kind of unsatisfied with it... I had a lot of mistakes with knots that are obvious close-up but not really hanging on a wall, framed.

Anyway... this is going to be a fun project! Funny story, I was on Etsy looking for pre-dyed aida and unknowingly contacted funkymonkey on here (wasn't obvious by the shop name!). But after a lot of deliberation, I ended up buying a huge roll of aida myself and dying it on my own :) -- the color isn't quite as vibrant as DMC 3843... feels like it came out a shade lighter but it's close enough, that I feel like it works.

I'm 0.02% done hahaha (also using a single strand of DMC 3843 along the bottom to mark a grid since I didn't feel like fabric pen worked very well... I plan on removing that once I'm done with everything.