Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Knitting Machine ideas

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Knitting Machine ideas

Post by icedragonj »

My kind mother gave me her old knitting machine for my birthday :yahoo:

I am excited to start using it, but am not sure what to make at this stage. It uses punchcards to create 2 colour patterns, so I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for simple 2 colour repeating patterns. Will probably try to make a triforce :tri one for starters.
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Knitting Machine ideas

Post by icedragonj »

I threw together a few ideas, and did a practice with the animal crossing one. Forgot that it comes out backwards, opps! The repeat section must be 12 stitches wide, and each row can only have 2 colours, though I can change colours between rows. Not sure which row of pokeballs I like better... :confused:
2016-12-05 21.13.04.jpg
pat1.png

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

How neat!!! Enjoy! Can't wait to see what you design...those pics look great!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

That looks a lot of fun to play around with :) How does the back look? Does it have the same pattern in the opposite colour?
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

Pyper wrote:How does the back look? Does it have the same pattern in the opposite colour?
Unfortunately no, that would be much more complicated to make a machine for. It can only do stocking stitch, so for blocks of colour the back will look like that, and then there is just loose threads jumping over sections where they are not used. Will try to take a picture later.

There is a ribber attachment that has another row of needles that point the other way. This allows you to do garter stitch and ribbing, or any combination of knit and pearl. I haven't set it up yet, and mum had a lot of problems with it when she used it. It is quite old and tends to drop stitches a lot.

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

Sorry for the delay! This is what the back looks like of a small zelda sample square. It does kind of look like the front pattern in reverse, but all the threads are loose and it can easily snag if you don't cover it with fabric or another layer of knitting.
back.jpg
I got very inspired by the recent blog post about a totoro inspired latvian blanket, so I decided to make something similar on my machine :yahoo:
I had to change the pattern quite a bit, as my machine only does 12 stitch repeat. I had fun making some other ghibli characters. After on night of about 4 hours of knitting I have already done 5 lines of characters. I can't imagine doing something this big by hand! Had a frustrating moment on the totoro line where the wool got caught and snapped and I was left trying to pick up the stitches :banghead: As you knit you can only see the wrong side, so I hope the fix looks ok.
ghibli.png

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

That pattern looks cute!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

In case anyone is interested here is a time-lapse video of me making it! Came out lovely. Still have a bit of sewing to finish it all off. Every time I move the carriage from one side to the other it knits a row, I pull the lever to select the stitches for the next row, and when I am poking around at it I am usually fixing mistakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jEew16P-gM&t=0s

ezsebeth
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ezsebeth »

This is so cool!

I can't wait to see the final result!
Epic Pokemon I: 6.8%

VanishingMer
Rank 0 - Little Mario