Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Firehawke's crafty obsession...non-video games!

non video game related projects...
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Firehawke's crafty obsession...non-video games!

Post by Firehawke »

I am totally addicted to yarn! It started back in 2005 when I heard a talk in my church's semi-annual worldwide conference about service and knitting things was mentioned. Something clicked in my brain and I said "Hey, I want to try that!" So, I went to Hobby Lobby, grabbed needles and yarn, got some books from the public library and found a crafty show on TV...and I taught myself to knit! Crochetting came a couple of years later. A large chunk of my crafting energy is devoted to charity crafts (either knit, crochet, or cross stitch), but I do also make some crafts for around home (I am currently working on a knit cable blankets for my living room) and for gifts (I'm really big on making scarves for gifts :P ). Here is where you will find pics of all of my non-video game related crafts (trust me...pics may not happen often. SO many projects (and I like big projects), not enough time :sorry: )

Here is what I am currently working on (aside from my Story of Seasons charity block viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15913). Every year, I help make scarves for Special Olympics (I usually make for Kansas, South Dakota, and Iowa). Every year, each state picks out different colors for the items (some states also ask for mittens and headbands) and you can make whatever pattern your like (there are size requirements). The scarves are worn by the athletes...very fun! If you want more info and are on Facebook, check out "Knit and Crochet for a Cause"

The three states I stitch for announced their colors, and I actually had a number of them in my stash, so I've already gotten started. Here's a pic of all of the yarn, one of the scarves (I finished it right after taking the pic) for Kansas, and my size 50 knitting needles (my go to for scarves...they're HUGE!)
Spoiler
Hope you guys enjoy!
Last edited by Firehawke on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: Firehawke's yarn obsession...non-video games!

Post by lcockitt »

How massive are those needles?! :shock: The colours work well together and the scarf looks great. Hope to see more soon - I'm very interested in seeing the knit cable blanket!
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

They are 25mm in diameter! I jokingly call them my broomstick needles :P Got another scarf done, this time for South Dakota...the colors this year are red, plus 2-3 yarns of my choice (that's new!). So, I used black and a variegated yarn that I impulse bought...hope they don't mind variegated! I'll try to get pics of it and my cable blanket to post later this week!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

I'm sure that they won't mind variegated! Looking forward to pics :D

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Thanks! :grin:

I took some more pics last night!

Here's the scarf with the variegated yarn...
Spoiler
Here's one side of the double knit Gryffindor block from the Lattes and Llamas GAL (I'm planning on stitching many of the book themed ones)
Spoiler
And here are pics of the cable blanket. It's stitched in panels...I have 1 done and two in progress

Center panel, in progress...and a glimpse of my huge, bright granny square blanket on my bed :P
Spoiler
Gray panel #1, in progress (and apparently sideways :P )
Spoiler
Skinny dark brown panel #1, complete, along with the other two
Spoiler
And here's a link to the project (thankfully, I got it a couple of years ago, when it was on sale)...the pic doesn't show all of the panel

http://www.marymaxim.com/cables-twists-throw.html

And just a note...there won't be any updates at the beginning of next week. Long story short, my allergies have gone haywire and I can't do any actual crafting until I get my new, no nylon at all, craft gloves from Amazon next week. May use that time to plan my cross stitch pattern for the contest...and gather supplies for a new, just for me cross stitch project that is not a landscape and smaller than all of my not charity block cross stitch projects (I'm addicted to HUGE landscape projects, in addition to working on "Treasure Hunt Bookshelf" from Heaven and Earth Designs...if you guys want to see all of my WIPs, let me know!)

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

Those cables are beautiful! It's going to look so awesome when it's all complete.

I also love how the variegated scarf has turned out - it's almost like little flecks of random colour, not overpowering at all.

And yay! More GAL-ers :D

So many beautiful things!!

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Thanks!!! :grin:

Did not have a chance to take pics of my other projects last night (allergies, and needing to take a nap so I can catch a 9:30PM basketball game on TV)...hopefully sometime this weekend. And speaking of the weekend, my craft gloves now could arrive on Saturday! :yahoo:

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Turns out they didn't come until last night...finally got to do a little crafting!

Sneak peak at my new project...let's just say that stained glass and bow ties are cool :P
Spoiler

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Update time!

We're in a heat wave right now, so my apartment is quite toasty (it's kept cool by a window unit that is in the west window...so between the sun being on it part of the day, the heat, the humidity, and the fact that it might need some freon, but we don't want to call it in right now...it's still keeping things a bit cool and we don't want to be without the coolness it provides while it's taken out and serviced, which could take a few days). That means that most of my crafting time right now has to be spent using whatever light seeps through the blinds and the light from the TV. Needless to say, can't really do any cross stitching :cry: But, it is enough light to work on my Special Olympics scarves! :clap: I can work on these things with my eyes closed most of the time :P

It dawned on me that I have yet to post a pic of the Iowa scarves for this year, colors are silver and tangerine (but we can use whatever shades of orange and gray we can get our hands on).

Here's a pic of one, sitting on top of a number of scarves I just finished for Kansas...
Spoiler
Finished up the light gray yarn that I had, but still have some orange, so mom picked me up some gray from Walmart...it's darker than the gray I had been using, but I think it will work!

Current total number of scarves finished:

Iowa:7 (Iowa's due first, so I'm doing a big push on these)
Kansas:4
South Dakota:2

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Firehawke's crafty obsession...non-video games!

Post by Firehawke »

Quick update....first of all, it just dawned on me to not only post yarn related things here, but also all of my non-video game projects here (don't know why I didn't think of that before!).

So, expect to see soon (maybe even tomorrow if I remember to take a pic) a progress pic from the Eleventh Doctor Stained Glass (pattern from this topic...viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14043&hilit=doctor+ ... ined+glass), and possibly my Mabry Mill progress (http://123stitch.com/item/Pegasus-Origi ... rn/06-2506) and Idaho Hideaway progress (https://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Original ... ay+pegasus).

Also, I will be finishing up my SO scarves this coming weekend, so I will be able to give you a final total next week...and pics of them drying, if you want :P