Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Favorite Board/Tabletop Game?

Anything goes!
lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: Favorite Board/Tabletop Game?

Post by lcockitt »

After last weekends mad board gaming day (11 hours of games, so much fun!) I thought I'd join in on this thread.

Pandemic - first time playing this and absolutely loved it. Am definitely considering buying it soon, especially as there are expansion packs with good reviews to mix things up if you get bored playing it (has anyone played any of the expansions?)

Colt Express - soooo much fun! Even putting the train together was a good laugh, and punching people in tunnels can be hilarious. Again, some good replayability with this one.

Exploding Kittens - a quick, fun game with the added fun of trying to screw other people over without accidentally exploding yourself. Not as easy as it sounds!

Camel Cup - This was a strange looking game (you're betting on where camels will finish in a race, but they can ride on top of each other and allsorts) but once we got the hang of it was good fun, with lots of overthinking going on.

Dead of Winter - second time I've played this, and I've given into temptation and bought it myself. A co-op game where you're playing against the board, trying to make sure you have enough food/medicine/useful stuff for the people in your colony, without being overrun by zombies or losing moral. Added fun as there's a chance that one of the players is a betrayer and trying to destroy the colony. Lots of different game missions and potential problems, highly replayable. So many different characters to play (Sparky the stunt dog, the mayor, the mall santa to name a few). Rules look heavy and confusing but aren't too difficult to pick up.

Firefly board game (I played this the day after the 11 mega board game session, but it was all in the same weekend!) - so many rules and things to try and keep track of! But good fun. A few different game scenarios to choose from to keep things fresh, but I feel after a few games it could get pretty repetitive.
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

My friends in Japan don't play as many board games as I would like... I miss drunk catan nights. Anyway, when I went home for Christmas I was able to get a decent amount of games in (my Mum loves board games even more than me!)

One that I found particularly enjoyable was splendor. Easy enough to learn, but difficult to perfect the strategies. There are a bunch of gem tokens which you use to buy gem cards which make new cards cheaper and expensive cards also give points. It is a race to 15 points. There is a very limited number of tokens which you have to share, so blocking happens. Doesn't take too long and I think it is up to 5 players? I was actually able to beat my brother more often than not, which is unusual, as he is usually a master of strategy (although it was a new game for him too.)

If you like word games, codenames is the hot new game to look out for. There are 2 teams and a grid of random words, some of which are agents for each team and some of which are bystanders. Only one member from each team knows who is who and they have to take turns giving one word hints that relate to their agents AND not to the other words. It is better if your hint relates to more than one of your words. For example you could say music 2 if you wanted them to guess piano and concert. If your team guesses wrong, then it is turn over. It is a race to see which team finds all the agents first. Good party game if you have a large number of people, need at least 4 to play.
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

smoni
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by smoni »

I've played one of the Pandemic expansions - the first one. (It may be called On The Brink, it involves the Bioterrorist, the purple disease and the Virulent Strain) I like it for the extra variety it adds, but the people I play with aren't much for stabbing each other in the back, so we've never really played with the bioterrorist.
If you like co-op games, I'd strongly recommend Wok Star, it's about running a Chinese restaurant, and because each player is given a task, it does remove the 'alpha player syndrome' that may happen in Pandemic...

emeeekay
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by emeeekay »

Oh I love tabletops games! I actually play more board games than video games, these days. I tend to like medium to heavy weight strategy games, and like worker-placement, hand/resource management, and tableau building mechanics. My favorite game of all time is Glory to Rome, but recently I've been into Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Orleans, Terra Mystica, Viticulture, and Isle of Skye.

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

icedragonj wrote:If you like word games, codenames is the hot new game to look out for. There are 2 teams and a grid of random words, some of which are agents for each team and some of which are bystanders. Only one member from each team knows who is who and they have to take turns giving one word hints that relate to their agents AND not to the other words. It is better if your hint relates to more than one of your words. For example you could say music 2 if you wanted them to guess piano and concert. If your team guesses wrong, then it is turn over. It is a race to see which team finds all the agents first. Good party game if you have a large number of people, need at least 4 to play.
I played Codenames this weekend, it was soooo much fun! I was joking the other day that my partner would make a rubbish secret agent, and after playing Codenames he agreed. He somehow managed to get his teammate to pick the assassin on his first go. I'd definitely recommend for large groups - it's a lot of fun trying to work out both your own clues and the other team's.

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

lcockitt wrote: He somehow managed to get his teammate to pick the assassin on his first go.
Haha, my mum did exactly the same thing, she was just looking at her own agents and ignoring the other cards. Good times.
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

We helped back Joking Hazard from the folks at Cyanide and Happiness. Can't wait to get it in the mail and see what it's about!

We really love Gloom as well. Coming up with stories for why the families had the things happen to them makes the game so much more enjoyable!

Brother-in-law got Exploding Kittens for Christmas and we played it with them a few months ago. It was really fun as well. Our Game Store owner was lamenting at how he can't seem to get any copies of it in right now because it's a great little game.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Exploding kittens is an awesome game!!!

It's tabletop day soon, anyone doing anything special?

My local comic book shop is having a day of gaming as per usual.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

No plans for tabletop day (yet!) but did have another afternoon of board games yesterday which was really good. Played 7 Wonders for the first time and really enjoyed it. I had some good cards early on and managed to pick up lots of points at the end to win! It did remind me of Age of Empires which I really like.

Also played Camel Up again, and played the Resistance for the first time. We had 8 players, and trying to work out who were spies was pretty tricky!

I may also have preordered Dead of Winter Long Night... Really looking forward to that arriving :D