Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

So...What Are You Reading Now?

Anything goes!
Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: So...What Are You Reading Now?

Post by Ally »

I'm currently wending my way through the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer. I'm about a third of the way through Cress at the moment and I'm really enjoying them :)
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Rereading the entire Redwall series in chronological order (going to take me a while!). Just finished Lord Brocktree.
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

I love Redwall :)

I'm reading the Hyperion Cantos, and my god it is amazing! Sci fi, philosophy, social engineering, romance, religion, politics... And I'm only two books in. It is really well done.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Jennuh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Jennuh »

I finally finished Warriors: The New Prophecy -- Twlight b Erin Hunter.... oh boy the feels. If you guys like cats you should definitely check this series out! It begins in Warriors: Into the Wild as the first book in a loooong series but they are really good and fast reads since they are for young readers. ;P I also finished my Evangelion Manga in between all this and also Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Nowwwwwww updating my currently reading list:

Lord of Chaos Wheel of Time #6 by Robert Jordan (also switching between listening and reading for this novel for when I'm commuting.. about 45% done)
Running & Being: The Total Experience by George Sheehan (I'm a half-marathon aspiring to be a marathoner. :) )

Re-reading:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K Rowling (about 10% in)
Image Image Image

Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Clarington »

I recently finished Felicia Day's memoir, You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost), and I highly recommend it. Since she's a geeky crafter who plays way too many video games I found her incredibly relatable. She's also smart and funny, so it was a quick enjoyable read. The story of how she embraced her weirdness and refused to compromise her vision in order to carve out a career for herself that really didn't exist before is quite inspirational. She also talks candidly about her battles with depression and anxiety, which I know a number of members of the SpriteStitch community struggle with as well. Lastly, the book is a delightful reminder of Internet past (remember Friendster?). If you're at all a fan of Felicia Day, or just want to read about how someone embraced her geekdom to build herself a career, it's worth a look.
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

tyrannorus
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by tyrannorus »

Clarington wrote:I recently finished Felicia Day's memoir, You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost), and I highly recommend it. Since she's a geeky crafter who plays way too many video games I found her incredibly relatable. She's also smart and funny, so it was a quick enjoyable read. The story of how she embraced her weirdness and refused to compromise her vision in order to carve out a career for herself that really didn't exist before is quite inspirational. She also talks candidly about her battles with depression and anxiety, which I know a number of members of the SpriteStitch community struggle with as well. Lastly, the book is a delightful reminder of Internet past (remember Friendster?). If you're at all a fan of Felicia Day, or just want to read about how someone embraced her geekdom to build herself a career, it's worth a look.
I just recently finished it too and I second all of this! I had only vaguely heard of her before but I wanted a good biography to read and it was great.

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

One of the arbitrary reading goals I set myself for this year was to actually read more of the series that I own. At the moment I'm reading The Selection Series by Kiera Cass and dammit, it makes me want to simultaneously rip my hair out/scream/tear the book in half. I'm onto The Elite now and wow, it's hard. On principle alone I will complete this series, only because I was silly enough to buy it thinking that it couldn't be all that bad.
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

Knitty-Kitty-Crafts
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Knitty-Kitty-Crafts »

Currently, for personal reading, I'm reading Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong. Over the summer, my husband and I traded in DVDs that amounted to exactly the rest of the books from Women of the Otherworld that I hadn't read and found in the shelves while the store owner was pricing out our movies. :3 However, it's been so long since I read one that I kind of forgot about the whole "I'm a woman, my loins are burning, I need sex" swooning that pops up. Luckily, it's usually pretty short, so even though I read through it in the last book, I just skipped those pages in this one because lords, no.

For school, I have to take English to fulfill a requirement and my teacher happens to be the head of the Diaspora Studies at the university with a focus on African and Caribbean literature (I think also specifically with colonialism topics?). At first I was kind of excited because this means non-white authors, non-white characters, but it REALLY would've been nice if he'd mentioned how racist Heart of Darkness is. :/ You know, with two black students in his class and he's talking about another black author who felt the book was terrible to be forced to read while in school. Good job.

The next book we have is by that author, Chinua Achebe and it's called Things Fall Apart.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Finished up four books recently. Fragments by Monique Martin. I'm really loving her time travel series a lot! I also read the first book in the Witcher series. It's called The Last Wish. Then there was the rather interesting A Clockwork Orange. It is very hard to read without having a cheat sheet as to the Nadsat language but once you get into it and start remembering what certain words mean it was pretty good. There were a couple of spots that made me cringe though so definite trigger warnings, I think. The last one was I finally finished re-reading Watership Down. This is my all time favorite book ever and I hadn't read it since I was teenager so I decided to pick it back up and reread it over the holidays.

Now I'm currently reading Brainwashed by Ruth and Michael Harris. I've read their other book, Hooked, last year and found it was interesting and a quick read. This one is proving just as interesting and quick to read. I'll probably be done with it before the weekend. Not sure where I want to go after that. LOL!

Knitty -> I read Heart of Darkness last year simply because I hadn't read it yet and you are definitely right with how racist it is. I also found it just boring in general. It was like...it takes place in a jungle with angry natives one would think there would be some kind of adventure and it was...meh. Once again, a "Classic" where I'm left wondering why everyone considers this book something everyone should read. *shrugs*

cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by cirestan »

I just finished Jack Mcdevitt's "Hutchins' Series".
Back to the basics straight up Sci-Fi with a flavor of Asimov with a modern flavor.
The novels feature slow builds into which often turn into thrillers, or escape adventures.
Possibly categorized as Xeno-Archeological-Thrillers.
Visit my Etsy Store "A Stitch 'N' Crime"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AStitchNCrime

Visit my OTHER Etsy Store "Rescued Art Shop"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RescuedArtSho ... _shop_menu