Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Super Mario World Map WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Super Mario World Map WIP

Post by funkymonkey »

Disappointingly, the dyed fabric came out more like 519 than 3843 - waay too light. I don't know if the liquid dye went bad or what (it was kind of lumpy; I've had it for a couple years), if I didn't use enough, if I used too much water, or what.

I got a packet of Tulip - Aqua powder dye (what I used for my Epic Mario fabric), which I know is a much brighter blue. Hopefully the combination of these two will come out close to right.
Spoiler
colors.jpg
colors.jpg (61.11 KiB) Viewed 7600 times

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

yafashelli wrote:Share your fabric dye secrets! I was afraid that the color would come out funny, so I didn't even try!
Unfortunately I don't have any secrets; just trial and error. I try to follow the instructions on the label. Instead of using a sink though, I use a 5 gal bucket (the hardware store kind) and a big metal cooking spoon. I feel a bit like an old washerwoman stirring the steaming bucket. The re-dye is setting now, about to wash it, but this one is looking MUCH better. Ended up using the packet of Tulip - Aqua color, and also putting in a good squirt of the Tulip - Liquid Dye (Light Blue). In addition to the fabric being dyed with just the liquid dye to start with.

I'm thinking about selling hand-dyed fabrics on my etsy store; wondering if it would be worth doing? Really I've only played around with shades of blue, so I'd have pretty limited options.

yafashelli
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by yafashelli »

I can't wait to see pictures! I have to say that I think that using dye for the ocean is going to give it an almost 3-D look, which I love. :nod It's going to be awesome!

Hand dyed fabrics sell for quite a bit of money! I'd say try it, and see if people go for it. :) You can always say things like "Custom-made-per order", so that you're not sitting on tons of stock.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Yeah; that's a good idea. Whenever someone orders something, I can make up a batch with some extras to have on hand.

Here's the final color! I'm super happy with it. It's 18 count; I think it's 36" x 45", so I've got lots of extra. I was hoping to be able to use some of the leftover for the Yoshi's Island mini map.
Spoiler
fabric.jpg
fabric.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 7587 times

yafashelli
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by yafashelli »

Oh, it's PERFECT!!!!!! Great job! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I can't wait to see the stitching!!!!

Xanatos
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Xanatos »

Cheater :P
Current WIP: Super Mario World - Main Map (2/20 pages)

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Xanatos wrote:Cheater :P
And proud of it! :grin:

Here's a WIP from day 1. Started at the top in the middle (at the waterfall)
Spoiler
smw02.jpg
smw02.jpg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 7569 times

yafashelli
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by yafashelli »

I love it!!! :thumbsup:

Xanatos
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Xanatos »

funkymonkey wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Cheater :P
And proud of it! :grin:

Here's a WIP from day 1. Started at the top in the middle (at the waterfall)
Spoiler
smw02.jpg
Oh you would start where I'm up to just to rub that in as well :P
Current WIP: Super Mario World - Main Map (2/20 pages)

samarin
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by samarin »

funkymonkey wrote:
yafashelli wrote:Share your fabric dye secrets! I was afraid that the color would come out funny, so I didn't even try!
Unfortunately I don't have any secrets; just trial and error. I try to follow the instructions on the label. Instead of using a sink though, I use a 5 gal bucket (the hardware store kind) and a big metal cooking spoon. I feel a bit like an old washerwoman stirring the steaming bucket. The re-dye is setting now, about to wash it, but this one is looking MUCH better. Ended up using the packet of Tulip - Aqua color, and also putting in a good squirt of the Tulip - Liquid Dye (Light Blue). In addition to the fabric being dyed with just the liquid dye to start with.

I'm thinking about selling hand-dyed fabrics on my etsy store; wondering if it would be worth doing? Really I've only played around with shades of blue, so I'd have pretty limited options.
i would definitely buy hand dyed fabric from you, your colors seems to turn out so amazing! i dont know if i would have the patience to do it. easier to just give up the money! XD
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchedPixels
WIPs
Pokemon All Gens - 40/270 pages (14.8%)
Quilt Squares 1/48 done, square 2 - 70%
Elizabeth (sepia) - 50%
Playing
tomb raider and fallout new vegas