Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Dragon Quest Brooches

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
lucybaddog
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Dragon Quest Brooches

Post by lucybaddog »

I have to admit I have still not finished my Epic Pokemon Generation I but I will get there eventually, got a couple more pages done recently. I find my nemesis is the hunching - I am prone to getting really hyper focused and forget to take breaks and as a result my neck and shoulders seize up completely. To try and combat this I thought I would try some smaller projects, and given I adore Akira Toriyama's sense of design I have gone for some Dragon Quest monster sprites.

To get them to come out small enough for brooches I decided to use 28 count linen (plus I don"t really like the look of raw Aida). My first experiment was in cross stitch with one thread of DMC but I kept breaking the thread and it got fluffy and burred really quickly. I ended up going for Petite Point stitching with two strands of floss (the extra bonus is half as many stitches to sew!).
Spoiler
This is the largest size brooch I have made and is 5cm in diameter, about the biggest I think anyone would want to wear really. I initially tried using a badge maker to create the brooches but it is very touchy when you use fabric (particularly as the linen is fairly thick) and you can ruin your piece horribly easily. Plus the badge back itself seemed a bit cheap and nasty considering all the work that goes into the stitching, so I came up with an alternative method.
Spoiler
If enough of you are interested I could put together a tutorial on how to do this it is a little fiddly but worth it in my opinion. A word of warning though brooches made this way will not survive a trip through the washing machine (you don't want to find that out the hard way believe me).

The smallest size I have made is 2cm, which makes for a very cute little button.
Spoiler
I have to admit I am completely addicted there are so many adorable sprites. I don't know what I am going to do with all of these but I just keep making them. This one is 4cm across:
Spoiler
One last picture, I have plenty more brooches but no more pictures and it is too dark to take more (natural light is way better). This one is 3cm across:
Spoiler

Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Dragon Quest Brooches

Post by Clarington »

These are absolutely adorable and I love the way you finished the backs. It's very clever.
The petit point turned out really well. I'm not a big fan of cross stitching with one strand myself so I'm going to have to give this a try.
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

So cute! I'm not familiar with the petite stitch. Will have to look into that.

Even though it's just one more thing to add to my growing list of interests, I would be interested in a tutorial. :)
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

lucybaddog
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by lucybaddog »

Kareesh wrote:So cute! I'm not familiar with the petite stitch. Will have to look into that.

Even though it's just one more thing to add to my growing list of interests, I would be interested in a tutorial. :)
Thanks.

Petit Point is just tapestry stitch (or half of a cross sttich if you like). Normal tapestry stitch is referred to as gross point and petite point is really just a finer version.

Any cross stitch designs can be done this way - you just need to use double the number of strands of thread because you are trying to cover the same area with just one stitch instead of two.

I may take me a little while to get the photos together but I will start playing around with a brooch tutorial.

lucybaddog
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by lucybaddog »

Another one finished.
Spoiler

out2lunch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by out2lunch »

Super cute ^_^
Current Project: Super Metroid villain #3: Crocomire

ladycass
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by ladycass »

These are really appealing and well done. I, for one, would be very interested in the tutorial.
That which does not kill me shall regret ever having tried.

lucybaddog
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by lucybaddog »

I have finished the brooch tutorial - you can see it over in the Techniques/Guides Forum under the topic Embroidered Brooches.

I hope you find it useful - please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.