Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Super Mario/Game of Thrones Mashup WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
NMRaymond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Super Mario/Game of Thrones Mashup WIP

Post by NMRaymond »

So, I've taken up the task of completing the amazing mashup of Game of Thrones and Super Mario World, Game of Mushroom Kingdoms. The pattern can be found just a hop and a skip over here, using this link -> viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5742

I'm working on 14 ct, which is my preference and is the reason that I had to order the cloth rather than picking it up at a local craft store like Jo-Ann Fabric and/or Michaels. I have no doubt that I'm going to have to go out and purchase more DMC 996 (the blue for the sea), but no biggie.

I am actually doing this project for a friend, one of my best. She loves both Thrones and Mario (Her husband actually proposed to her using a Mario video game where she had to hit the blocks to spell out his proposal of marriage). :mush
IMG_2077_RESIZE.jpg
IMG_2077_RESIZE.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 6488 times
IMG_2088_RESIZE.jpg
IMG_2088_RESIZE.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 6488 times
The first photo is after 5 days of work, and the second is after 10 days of working on the project. Currently, I am working on the land beyond the Wall, which consists mostly of white. However, I am super excited that I started working on the trees because of the Boos hanging out around the forest. I plan on uploading more WIP progress photos every 10 days of working on the Game of Mushroom Kingdoms project.

This is only the second extremely large project that I've started (I started the Epic Pokemon Gen 1 project for myself, which I only started this year).
Current Projects:
Epic Pokemon Generation I
Game of Mushroom Kingdoms
"When Fandom Collides" Bag

Coming Soon:
Disney Mickey Villains
Wonder Woman Typography
...So Many More

One stitch at a time.

crazystrange
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Super Mario/Game of Thrones Mashup WIP

Post by crazystrange »

looking good :) Can't wait to see your progress :)

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

That's looking great! Excited to see more pics :)
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

bradleyd
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by bradleyd »

Hello,
I am really inspired by your project. So inspired in fact, I have decided that I will try to do one as well in the near future if I can. To minimize stiches, save about 50k or so I have ordered a large piece of light blue colored aida on Amazon. It is coming from a small shop in China and is a yard by 59". It is size 11 though, and I have never worked with anything with such big stitches. If my calculations are right it should be about 55" (Not a lot of room at the vertical borders!) by 30"...... I wonder if you have any particular tips or hints on keeping such a large piece of work clean in the long time it will take to produce the piece, and if anyone happens to know the best way to display such a large piece? Framing it does not seem practical, I was thinking if there was maybe someway to attach it to a tapestry or wall hanging rug that would look nice. Any suggestions?

NMRaymond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by NMRaymond »

Wow! I am so excited that you were inspired to tackle this project via my post. I have never worked on size 11 ct before... good luck! The size would be challenging, especially since I've worked farther down on my 14 ct project and holding the cloth in a particular way might start to irk me, but I'm going to power thru it!

Tips to keep it clean... well from personal experience and my own habits. I keep my projects, especially the larger ones rolled while they're not being worked on (for example, I also recently started the Epic Pokemon Gen 1 project, but I have not been working on it). I also roll it with the back facing outward to minimize dust on the front side on the cloth. I am also kind of nitpicky about where I work on my cross stitch to minimize the direct dirt contact to the project. I know a lot of others wash their projects after completion, but I'm not familiar with that. My mom is a BIG cross stitcher, and she didn't really emphasize washing the projects that I've completed.

I am not sure about how to mount yours, especially with the size of it. It's gonna be a big one! :D But someone on the forum would definitely be able to give you some possible ideas if you post the question somewhere more technical. I hope that helps you a bit!
Current Projects:

Coming Soon:
Disney Mickey Villains
Wonder Woman Typography
...So Many More

One stitch at a time.

NMRaymond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by NMRaymond »

Finally! I have another update for everybody! It is coming along nicely, and I am actually working on it a lot more than I originally anticipated considering that I recently started working. I'm working on it when I watch shows with my mom or when I watch Netflix by myself. I am super proud of how it's turning out!
IMG_2101_RESIZE.jpg
IMG_2101_RESIZE.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 6325 times
IMG_2113_RESIZE.jpg
IMG_2113_RESIZE.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6309 times
These photos are after 20 days of working on the Game of Mushroom Kingdoms (GoMK) project.
Current Projects:

Coming Soon:
Disney Mickey Villains
Wonder Woman Typography
...So Many More

One stitch at a time.

NMRaymond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by NMRaymond »

Here's another update! The last one was a bit late after actually taking the progress photos. So, these updates are a bit close together. Enjoy!
IMG_2159_RESIZE.jpg
IMG_2159_RESIZE.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 6259 times
IMG_2146_RESIZE.jpg
IMG_2146_RESIZE.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 6259 times
These photos are after 30 days of working on the Game of Mushroom Kingdoms (GoMK) project.
Current Projects:

Coming Soon:
Disney Mickey Villains
Wonder Woman Typography
...So Many More

One stitch at a time.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

Its coming along nicely :)
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

yafashelli
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by yafashelli »

Very nice! Keep going!

NMRaymond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by NMRaymond »

Here's another update! This is a tad late (I was overcome with work during the holidays and progress on Xmas presents), but better late than never. Enjoy!
IMG_2182_RESIZE_SPRITESTITCH.jpg
IMG_2182_RESIZE_SPRITESTITCH.jpg (495.61 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
This photo is after 40 days of working on the Game of Mushroom Kingdoms (GoMK) project.
Current Projects:

Coming Soon:
Disney Mickey Villains
Wonder Woman Typography
...So Many More

One stitch at a time.