Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

My sewing machine

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: My sewing machine

Post by Eliste »

Batboard wrote: I have zero experience........so its going to be like figuring out how to build a cruse ship by trail and error......But i have youtube and I'm sure there is some books and stuff so I'm not totally lost. I just wanna make some awesome quilts like I see people make on this site. Soooooooooo coooooollllllll !!!!!!!!!! :swoon:
Well it is entirely possible to do that! There's even a blog about someone who decided to do just that- The Bitchy Stitcher. She's a pretty great quilter now, but knew nothing about it when she started, so you might find some inspiration in her trials and errors if you go back to the beginning.

Good luck!

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

The biggest thing I've had to get used to with my treadle is controlling the speed so I don't go to fast or to slow. I once heard someone compare sewing machines to cars, a treadle machine being a stick shift and the more modern ones automatic.

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Batboard »

Ive been driving stick for about 14 yrs so I hope that transfers well. It reminds me of playing the double bass peddles on drums. I did try to go as fast as I could yesterday, I don't know if it made a difference or not, I have just been using a cut up rag and sewing it back together and you really can't see the stitching, but it is good for getting into the routine of making the wheel go the right way and such.
I did start reading the bitchy stitchers blog, not to far yet but it is nice, I was thinking I need to document the process of figuring out al of it from start to finish. But I'm pretty lazy..... :tease: Im so buying some fabric tomorrow and some general supplies. What supplies, not sure but I do have a cutting mat and some stuff like that, so Ill just ask the ladies at Hobby Lobby what I need. Maybe take a class or two if I can get the time.