Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Large Project....Help?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
CheshireMouse
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Large Project....Help?

Post by CheshireMouse »

So I'm trying to do the Epic Pokemon Generation 1 pattern. The last few months I've been using a scroll frame on it but I apparently bent the bars trying to get the tension I wanted in the fabric and the screws went bad on me (one wouldn't unscrew no matter how much I twisted the lil part). The frame I used was this one: http://www.michaels.com/needlework-scro ... me&start=1 9"x24" size. I'm too far along to freehand the project anymore, and I'm kind of at my wit's end trying to figure out how to progress (19 pages done, a lil over 71k stitches so far).

I don't know if I should try a different brand of scroll frames, or if there's a way to build a stronger one. The only other idea is maybe a large hoop, but I've rarely used a hoop before and never did a project of this size before! So I don't know how the hoop would affect the stitched area. I tried an off brand version of Q snap once, but it was more frustrating to use than a scroll frame and I quickly gave up.

If anyone has any ideas or tips, I'd greatly appreciate it. Until then, I have to put this large project on hold. :(

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Large Project....Help?

Post by Eliste »

I would just use a hoop if you haven't found a frame that suits you. I always suggest the Millenium Frame as it is my all time favorite frame, but it doesn't fit within everyone's budget and it does take time to get made and sent to you.

Hoops are actually easy on big projects, you just need to be sure you never leave the project in the hoop for too long. Hoops are great because they're easy to set up so you can (and should) just take the hoop off anytime you won't be stitching for a few hours. I suggest wrapping your hoop in a light coloured/neutral fabric so that the wood won't attack your stitches. If you're still uncertain about it, just place an additional piece of fabric over the project where it will be clamped in the hoop. You should still be able to pull the project tight in the hoop, and it will protect your stitches.

You don't even need a large hoop. Because you really have to take it out of the hoop everytime you're not stitching on it, you can just use a standard/small hoop and work within it and then move it along when that section is done. The only issue you'll find is that your extra fabric will be something you will need to manage. I usually roll it up to keep what's been done safe and that way it isn't flopping around getting in your way. You can even roll the fabric in multiple directions if you're working near the center of a piece to keep the bulk down.

Edited to add: I wouldn't use a hoop where it has a lip- like this one. It pushes the fabric in multiple directions so it is more likely to warp your stitches at that juncture. Standard wooden hoops are best imo, but anything where its just two circles nestled is fine.

leilaandstitch
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by leilaandstitch »

I agree with pp - I've only ever used a hoop on all my projects - big or small. I always take the hoop off when I'm not stitching and have never had any problems :-)

CheshireMouse
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by CheshireMouse »

Thanks guys. Until this project, I've only done small kits before and was fine without a hoop. Project's going to stay on hold for a couple more days, work's been rough enough that by the time stores are open, I'm already settled at home and don't wanna go back out. XD For now, I've got a Grumpy Cat to finish and a Princess Serenity I wanna do. I'll check out the craft stores nearby, to price better hoops or whether I'll try another frame.