Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Challenge Themes and Stuff

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Post by QueenBex »

HornyPig wrote:im pretty new here so i'm not sure if its a valid ideia for a challenge, but;
what about crossovers?
characters from different games trying to interact somehow, like a gengar chasing the pac man or something like that.
Ooo I like this idea! :good:
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

How about lesser fantastical creatures? We just did dragons, which EVERYBODY knows...but what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.? Might be a cool idea to do something like this. We could make it even more challenging and limit the creature to the stitcher's area of the world (the U.K.ers pick from their myriad of creatures, Aussies can do their creatures, Americans do theirs, etc). When you post your entries you could post a little about the creature so others can learn about them (regardless of whether or not the restriction of your country only is enforced). I think this would be a really cool way to learn about the cultures of the folks that inhabit this bit of the Interwebs.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

That is a really cool idea :)
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

MeiTow wrote:How about lesser fantastical creatures? We just did dragons, which EVERYBODY knows...but what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.? Might be a cool idea to do something like this. We could make it even more challenging and limit the creature to the stitcher's area of the world (the U.K.ers pick from their myriad of creatures, Aussies can do their creatures, Americans do theirs, etc). When you post your entries you could post a little about the creature so others can learn about them (regardless of whether or not the restriction of your country only is enforced). I think this would be a really cool way to learn about the cultures of the folks that inhabit this bit of the Interwebs.
YES.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

QueenBex wrote:
MeiTow wrote:How about lesser fantastical creatures? We just did dragons, which EVERYBODY knows...but what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.? Might be a cool idea to do something like this. We could make it even more challenging and limit the creature to the stitcher's area of the world (the U.K.ers pick from their myriad of creatures, Aussies can do their creatures, Americans do theirs, etc). When you post your entries you could post a little about the creature so others can learn about them (regardless of whether or not the restriction of your country only is enforced). I think this would be a really cool way to learn about the cultures of the folks that inhabit this bit of the Interwebs.
YES.
HOLY CRAP YES

I can not only do UK, but I actually have a local monster legend! :D

Consider this one added to the list!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

OOooooo BMH! That sounds cool! As a lover of mythology, folklore, and cryptozoology I'm always interested in stories! I don't know if limiting it to stitcher's country would be too prohibitive (I guess it depends on where everyone is from; ie a disproportionate number of people in one area might end being counterproductive). Maybe just your favorite one in general would be good enough (maybe I'm just biased as my two favorite lesser known fantastical creatures are both from the U.K. tee hee). This way we could, potentially, get some from various areas that we wouldn't be able to normally (for example, I only one or two of us living in Japan right now but there might be more that are interested in Japanese culture and their demons).

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

MeiTow wrote:OOooooo BMH! That sounds cool! As a lover of mythology, folklore, and cryptozoology I'm always interested in stories! I don't know if limiting it to stitcher's country would be too prohibitive (I guess it depends on where everyone is from; ie a disproportionate number of people in one area might end being counterproductive). Maybe just your favorite one in general would be good enough (maybe I'm just biased as my two favorite lesser known fantastical creatures are both from the U.K. tee hee). This way we could, potentially, get some from various areas that we wouldn't be able to normally (for example, I only one or two of us living in Japan right now but there might be more that are interested in Japanese culture and their demons).
I'm with MeiTow on this one. I'm not especially thrilled with my adopted country's random things, but I have a lot of love of mythology and folklore that I'd love to do. Maybe just make it a "you have to explain your choice and its mythology" would still give the same effect. Then you get to learn, but allows folks more choice.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Eliste wrote:Maybe just make it a "you have to explain your choice and its mythology" would still give the same effect.
Agreed!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

glitch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by glitch »

This! Want to do this. I've had ideas bouncing around in my head for something like this but with funky colors.
I live under a rock, where it's nice and cool.

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

Yeah, I'm in Texas, so the only local folklore I can think of is the Chupacabra (goat sucker.) I don't think I would want to stitch him, LOL. :)
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA