Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

PC Stitch

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
PinkPoodle
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

PC Stitch

Post by PinkPoodle »

My bf said we can get PC Stitch today! I got him into cross stitching and he's interested in making patterns. I'm super excited to make some cool patterns that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere.

As far as selling patterns, does anyone know anything about copyrights? I noticed on Etsy that a lot if people are selling patterns of licensed art. Is that a copyright violation?
Currently working on:
Tiki Room Cross Stitch
Large Skyrim Perler project
A quilt I really need to finish

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: PC Stitch

Post by Kareesh »

Yay! My husband bought me PC Stitch for my birthday last year. I love it. :)

As far as the copyright thing, I think that technically (and legally) yes, it is a violation. There have been discussions about this before. On my phone otherwise I would pull them up for you. I personally decided that when I opened my Etsy shop to stay away from anything copyrighted and to make everything myself.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

PinkPoodle
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by PinkPoodle »

I'm going to make a neat Dragon Age pattern for myself, and probably a Regular Show one. So excited!

I thought it would be some kind of violation, I just wanted to make sure. I'm not very good at drawing but I'm pretty creative so creating my own patterns shouldn't be too bad. I hope lol
Currently working on:
Tiki Room Cross Stitch
Large Skyrim Perler project
A quilt I really need to finish

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

PinkPoodle wrote: As far as selling patterns, does anyone know anything about copyrights? I noticed on Etsy that a lot if people are selling patterns of licensed art. Is that a copyright violation?
Yes, it is quite probably a copyright infringement, unless they've gotten permission (usually means paid a fee) to do so. Its a messy area. If the owners of the copyright in the original picture come knocking, they could be facing rather painful fines.

That said, there's an argument to be made that you won't have copyright in the *pattern* itself if it doesn't involve some creativity, but you will on the instructions/packaging. Do be aware though, that it changes with what country you, your buyer, and the copyright holders live in, so giving you absolute answers to anything regarding this is difficult.