Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Attaching Aida

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
anarchyash3
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Attaching Aida

Post by anarchyash3 »

This might be a noob question but is there a way to connect two pieces of Aida cloth? I am afraid I will run out of room and I don't want to start over because it's rather large and I've already put a lot of time and effort into it. Thanks!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."-Einstein
:mush :Link :pac :sonic :pika :yoshi :1up
Esty Store
Projects:
  • Murloc baby blanket
  • Dr.Seuss Moving Mountains By BigDaddyWiz

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Attaching Aida

Post by Ally »

I've seen people overlap and align the two pieces of fabric and stitch over both, but I've never tried that myself so I don't know how seamless it would appear.
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Ally wrote:I've seen people overlap and align the two pieces of fabric and stitch over both, but I've never tried that myself so I don't know how seamless it would appear.
I believe this is the most accepted way to do it. As far as I know and have seen, it doesn't bulge like you would think and makes for the most secure connection between the two pieces.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Ally's method is the best. There will be a bump where its thicker than the rest (most noticable if its framed). Just be careful to actually go several aida rows across- as in, minimum 3-4 rows of crossover or else it may not stand up to the tugging/stretching for the rest of the project. If you're working with a hoop, it will also be more difficult to work this and get it set in the hoop, so I usually take thin sewing thread that I match to the aida and run the two pieces together before you try to put it in a hoop to stitch it. Just run up/down through the holes so that it will stay in line when you're trying to put it back in whatever you use to stretch it.

anarchyash3
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by anarchyash3 »

Thank you everyone. I do plan on framing the piece I am working on. Does anyone know how noticeable the bulge is?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."-Einstein
:mush :Link :pac :sonic :pika :yoshi :1up
Esty Store
Projects:
  • Murloc baby blanket
  • Dr.Seuss Moving Mountains By BigDaddyWiz

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

If you line it up nicely and keep your stitching quite neat, it's not that noticeable even under glass. I had a project a few years ago that got a hole in the aida, so I put an aida patch over the hole and stitched through both where possible. It actually turned out completely fine and it was not easy to tell exactly where it was once it was framed. :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

I had just been wondering about this, too! Thanks for the great info!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Do we have/ can we have a Top Tips Master List? Like the old patterns Master list...
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC