Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Dalek Quilt

non video game related projects...
Muffinhead
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Dalek Quilt

Post by Muffinhead »

I just wanted to share the project I did for my boyfriend's "Birthmas" present (his birthday is really close to Christmas). I took progress pictures along the way to send to both our mothers. I actually started on this quilt in August after he went back to work. We have a semi-long-distance relationship and he works in the oil field, so he gets to come home for a week or two, then has to go back to work for 20-30 days. I managed to keep this quilt a secret from him until I presented him with it on his birthday.

First progress picture, taken 09-SEPT-13 -- Everyone thought I was insane for tackling such a large project as this is only my second quilt and I'm notoriously bad at finishing projects. This is all 1" squares. I mixed solids with patterned fabrics to give the design a more interesting look. Besides, working only in solids is extremely boring! I made the pattern based off some Dalek sprites. I never could find a sprite with enough detail at smaller counts, so I picked this one, which is 63x73 squares. I made it as a cross stitch pattern in KG Stitch and worked in fabrics.

Second progress picture, taken 30-SEPT-13 -- I'm making pretty good progress at this point. He was coming back home, so I wanted to do an update before he got back. At this point, I've watched about 2 seasons of Gossip Girl while working on this.

Third progress picture, taken 17-OCT-13 -- I've got all but two 5x5 columns left to do at this point. Our cat, Jack Burton, has been a huge "help". :P I think he'd been gone for about a week here.

Fourth progress picture, taken 20-OCT-13 -- Got some extra work in on this and finished up those last two columns. The middle is entirely done at this point, and I've been working on the piecework border.

Detail of piecework border. I'm mixing 9 patches of 1" squares with 3" squares cut from Doctor Who themed material that I ordered off Spoonflower.

Fifth progress picture, taken 09-NOV-13 -- I know I took some breaks in here. Doing that piecework border after doing that entire middle out of tiny squares is really soul-crushing, but I persevered. Now I have all the borders cut out and all the piecework done.

Sixth progress picture, taken 28-NOV-13 -- I took a looooot of breaks between this picture and the last one. I'm not super good at corners and it was intimidating trying to get the quilt top finished because it's soooooo heavy due to all the seams. I figured since he's in northeast Wyoming a good portion of the year, the heaviness of the blanket will actually be very nice for him.

I actually sent the quilt off to a long-arm quilter the day after progress pic #6. I told her I wanted double batting with a large pattern for max fluffiness. She also did the binding for me. Total cost from her was $60 (which was a STEAL considering the high quality of her work!) For anyone debating whether to tack or quilt, just go with the quilt. It's prettier and much more sturdy, especially if you get the quilting done professionally. She also got the quilt done for me in about 2 weeks.

Finished product (taken 18-DEC-13):

For the backing, I used a high thread count flat sheet. It feels waaaaay nicer than plain cotton material, and in some cases, might even be cheaper.

The night I got it back, I slept under it and it was supremely comfy. When I presented it to him, he teared up a little, gave me a huge hug and told me that it was the nicest present anyone had ever given him. We snuggled under it on the couch together and he was so happy he got to take it back with him. Sadly, he had to head back to work on Christmas Day.

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: Dalek Quilt

Post by Yurtle »

That is amazing! For your second quilt? Incredible!

And $60 is a steal. I've looked at a couple to finish up my quilts and they seem to be about $200!! Good job!

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

That is so awesome! I'm totally jealous and want a Dalek quilt now. Maybe I can wish my husband will suddenly want to learn how to quilt. lol.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Muffinhead
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Muffinhead »

Yurtle wrote:That is amazing! For your second quilt? Incredible!

And $60 is a steal. I've looked at a couple to finish up my quilts and they seem to be about $200!! Good job!
For my third, I think I want to go more old skool. My first quilt is actually under the Dalek quilt when I'm laying out the unfinished quilt top on the bed (pink green blue black). It was an easy rail fence beginner pattern that I made with my mom. It's been tacked (but poorly) and I'm going to have to fix some tears in the quilt top and either re-tack or go and quilt it. The first time my boyfriend was to go back to work after sleeping under that quilt, I offered him one of my throw blankets (something to snuggle that smells like me) and he wanted to steal the quilt. That's why I made him his own. :)

I was really pleased with the price on the quilting. My grandma knew about the lady who did it because she doesn't really advertise or anything. Here is her facebook if you're interested! I believe she may do it if you ship it to her. She mentioned to me that she ships all over the world. She kind of started her own business because she loves to quilt and told me she's shipped to Europe and Australia even.

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

That is simply amazing! I don't care how many quilts you have made. But for your second one--WOW, simply, WOW.

That truly was a labor of love and it sounds like it was really appreciated. He is one lucky guy.

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

I agree, for your second quilt that is absolutely amazing. You can probably figure out which quilts I made were my first couple with how bad they are. I also like the design you created. I always had a hard time trying to make a dalek quilt, but you made it look easy.

Muffinhead
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Muffinhead »

It wasn't difficult, it was just time-consuming. While I was working on it, I watched 3 seasons of Gossip Girl and 5 seasons of Buffy, and some random trashy shows. I worked on it almost every day, and for up to 12 hours on weekend days. He's a very special guy and completely worth all the work I put into it. :)

I've attached the .PDF for the Dalek pattern.
I used 3.25 yards of white, 2 yards of black and white diamond pattern (because of the big border), 1.5 yards of the dark gray with black lines pattern (because of the binding), 2 yards of the dark turquoise (because of borders), a fat quarter of each of the Doctor Who themed fabrics, and 1 yard of everything else. I have a bunch of leftover scraps though, which I like because I want to make a scrappy quilt out of all my sewing projects (include a horrible failed Halloween costume). :)
Attachments
Dalek.pdf
(75.3 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Would you mind if I used your pattern (I would make a few adjustments, not exactly) to make a dalek quilt? If you want I can send you the pdf of the patterns I make for one of my sprite quilts (your choice).

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

This is utterly fantastic!
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Muffinhead
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Muffinhead »

tnitnetny wrote:Would you mind if I used your pattern (I would make a few adjustments, not exactly) to make a dalek quilt? If you want I can send you the pdf of the patterns I make for one of my sprite quilts (your choice).
Go for it :)