Who Scarves!

non video game related projects...
arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: Who Scarves!

Post by arkani »

Ally wrote:
Pyper wrote:One of these days I will bite the bullet and put in a massive online order for all the things not carried locally, like DMC floss cones, or black Aida.
When you find the wonderful site that stocks these things please let me know! Sometimes I cannot believe how hard it is to find black aida here!
Ally - Stitchers Corner, in Victoria Park. ;) There's a website, but it's higgledy piggledy. i've bought black aida from there before, they have/had a good range of colours. Or you could just get some textile medium and paint it. ;) I could make you some if you wanted...

You know, if we (aussies) wanted to do a Baker/shada/that odd red scarf,it'd almost be worth all pitching in and buying online/roping in someone from the US to get us some yarns, floss, diamant floss etc. That way we could split the epic shipping costs and throw a little more in for normal parcel post or whatever, for one of us to divide and send out.

I don't have a lincraft in tassie, though i've got a few yarn stores.. and even they don't have the 'right' colours. My Spotlight is getting worse for the wools, imo - they've done a huge shift around, to now have one of those balloon areas... and it's shrunk all the good stuff like floss, aida, wool... all that's gone from a few rows to smooshed into 3 total. :(

My Kmart has all the eye bleedy colours (seriously, like neons and not much else, it's weird.) and the closest Big W is 2hrs+ away, in Hobart.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

Pooling in for resources may be a good idea. We should have most of Aus covered between us all, and postage isn't that bad interstate. Start a wishlist thread, and then if someone happens to be doing an order or finds something someone else needs it can get picked up and sent out? Not sure how moneys would work, possibly an expected price range on the wish list, then transfer money if something is bought and sent?

Out of curiosity is the Waverly Woolen mill still running?
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

arkani wrote: How's the scarf going, rhaben? I'm slowly looking around for colours that match, since i'm in australia and lack most of the brands everyone else has. ;)
I'm almost finished now. I had limited time since Tuesday evening. My daughter (who I'm making it for) was home for Thanksgiving weekend. She just left this afternoon, so I should be able to finish it tonight. I'm down to the last color band. Then I have to make the fringe and tuck the loose yarn in. I'll post pics soon.

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

Pyper wrote:Pooling in for resources may be a good idea. We should have most of Aus covered between us all, and postage isn't that bad interstate. Start a wishlist thread, and then if someone happens to be doing an order or finds something someone else needs it can get picked up and sent out? Not sure how moneys would work, possibly an expected price range on the wish list, then transfer money if something is bought and sent?
That is a good idea. I've shipped to Aus many times (my husband's business) and if it could fit in a flat rate box, the cost isn't that bad. Payment could be done via PayPal and could be sent as a "gift" so the person on the receiving end doesn't have to pay a fee.

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

rhaben wrote:
Pyper wrote:Pooling in for resources may be a good idea. We should have most of Aus covered between us all, and postage isn't that bad interstate. Start a wishlist thread, and then if someone happens to be doing an order or finds something someone else needs it can get picked up and sent out? Not sure how moneys would work, possibly an expected price range on the wish list, then transfer money if something is bought and sent?
That is a good idea. I've shipped to Aus many times (my husband's business) and if it could fit in a flat rate box, the cost isn't that bad. Payment could be done via PayPal and could be sent as a "gift" so the person on the receiving end doesn't have to pay a fee.

What's the dimensions of a flat rate box, rhaben? (in the sense of, if I got x amount of y brand, how many could be shoved in, as a broad rule? I know some balls are a lot bigger than others. ;) ) ...teehee. balls. *is apparently a 12 year old boy* xD

I like your idea. I'll go put up a wishlist thread in... Trades/Swaps. :) "aussie craft wishlist" or something like that.

Aaaand, since it's Who related - have you thought about doing/have done a Weeping Angel doll? I've decided I need one for the top of my Christmas tree... even though if it's in the image of an Angel it becomes an Angel. I'm working on a little one at the moment, but it'd never be as nice as a proper doll one. It's more finger puppet sized lol.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

I love Doctor Who scarves! They look like so much fun!

Great job on the ones I've seen here. :)

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

arkani wrote: What's the dimensions of a flat rate box, rhaben? (in the sense of, if I got x amount of y brand, how many could be shoved in, as a broad rule? I know some balls are a lot bigger than others. ;) ) ...teehee. balls. *is apparently a 12 year old boy* xD

I like your idea. I'll go put up a wishlist thread in... Trades/Swaps. :) "aussie craft wishlist" or something like that.

Aaaand, since it's Who related - have you thought about doing/have done a Weeping Angel doll? I've decided I need one for the top of my Christmas tree... even though if it's in the image of an Angel it becomes an Angel. I'm working on a little one at the moment, but it'd never be as nice as a proper doll one. It's more finger puppet sized lol.
Just looked at the USPS site (US Postal Service) and there are three sizes and rates. A large one is either 12"x12"x5.5" or 23"x11"x3" and can weigh up to 20 pounds for $77.95 (ouch!) Medium is 11"x8.5"x5.5" or 13"x12"x3" up to 20 lbs for $59.95. So if you max it out to the 20lbs it isn't a horrible deal.

Funny you should mention the angels. I've been thinking of making them, both Doctor Who and regular (for "normal" people) They won't be ready for this year, but I should have it by next.

I finished my daughter's scarf and have started on one for my son. I showed him the one I was making for his sister and could tell he really liked it. I told him I could make him one if he wanted. Sweet guy is so shy, he wouldn't say yes, but he didn't say no. In his language, that means I want one, but don't want to ask you to go to the trouble for me. My daughter's is a season 14 scarf--the shortest of them. I'm making my son a season 12 scarf--the first one. I'll get pics on in the morning of the one that's finished.

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

As promised, here are a couple of pictures of the finished scarf

And me holding my TARDIS

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

That looks really warm and squidgy, rhaben! :D

Pyper! I found something that maaay be useful for us - after delving around in the depths of facebook, I found another aussie knitter who used Moda Vera from spotlight!

I've just done a cut and paste, but I think this'll help us :)

The wool from Spotlight is Moda Vera Pure Wool 8 ply. Now remember not all these colors are accurate but all the same brand. Colors used are 11,13,44,07,68,42 and 49.

Actually I liked most of the colors except the yellow is quite pale and the brown is not right and the tan is slightly greenish but I figured it will still blend well but it should knit up beautifully.
Working on:

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

Thank you! I'm about a third done with the next scarf.

Glad you found something that will work for you Aussies.