Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

RMDC's junk

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: RMDC's junk

Post by RMDC »

Well, it's been six months, and I probably ought to update the thread.

I participated in the Big Swap last year and made this for annelotje:

I also worked with The Lanceman to make some fridge magnets for a swap participant who didn't get her items on time. Unfortunately, the camera was out of commission, so I didn't get the chance to document them. It was my first time working with plastic canvas, and also my first time using proper neodymium magnets - now I'll never go back to those cheapo craft store magnets that don't have any pull. :)

I had fun doing two projects for the Star Trek book johloh spearheaded. I probably have clearance to post those images here in the wild of the forum, but I haven't confirmed that, so for now they're SOOPER SECRETS.

We recently bought a new printer, so now I'm papercrafting again!

A new Timber Wolf - this one only 6 inches tall - to ease back into the hobby. There's a build thread here on the Mechwarrior 3 papercraft forum. I only had my 3DS's camera available at the time, so all the pictures have really crappy resolution; on the other hand, I have 3D .MPOs for most of those pictures for anyone who wants a 3D papermech on your 3DS. :P

I also made a Sims plumbob - my wife wanted to hang it over her chair at work - and a Keicraft-style paper Luna; again, no working camera means no documentation. :/

At the moment, I'm doing projects in both cross-stitch and paper. I enjoyed my first foray into plastic canvas, so now I'm making some more small, quick plastic canvas badges. I'm also making a companion papermech in the same scale as the Timber Wolf above, but I'm hoping it'll be much more customized.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

SofaraStarfyre
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by SofaraStarfyre »

Cool projects! Hope you get your camera fixed soon so we can see the stuff you couldn't photo!

acidMiasma
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by acidMiasma »

Your work is awesome!! Papercraft blows my mind. I feel like I wouldn't have the patience to do it tho. Is it as difficult as my mind is making it up to? lol

I've never seen any male stitching in public, so I'd probably have the same instant reaction of OMG. Then I would befriend him, of course.
Image:: Mia
:: This statement is false.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Papercraft isn't difficult at all. It can be time consuming for intricate models, but many models are simple builds which have a good effect without much effort. That Luna craft I linked above is a good starter (and there's an excellent Youtube build video to act as a guide, so it's a doubly good choice for a first craft). Cubees are also a good beginning; as a bonus, they're designed for tab-and-slot construction, so you don't need glue.

If you're planning on starting out, all you need is a cutting tool (scissors will work; an X-Acto knife or equivalent craft knife is more useful), a printer, and paper (and glue if you're not building Cubees). Heavier paper is better, so if you have any cardstock (up to about 170 gsm max) burning a hole in your pocket, now's the time to use it. :)

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

Your papercraft looks great. And btw, it's nice to have you back. :)
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Those are fantastic! Love the papercraft!
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

New project complete: SMB pants badges.

I have a lot of pants which have enormous lateral rips across the right knee and a worn hole in the exact same spot at the corner of the right pocket (I blame car keys). I decided that I'd patch them, but I couldn't stand to have an empty dark patch. So I made some Mario baddies to give one pair a bit of visual interest. I'm planning on doing Pokemon badges for another pair.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Ahhh! I've been wondering what the "SMB pants badges" you had in your sig meant. Now I know!
Of course, being British, at first I thought they were going to be...um...decorative items for undergarments. :blush:

...actually that's not a bad idea...

ANYWAY! They look awesome, very functional too. Me like! :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

This is a neat idea! My husband also gets holes in his jeans due to car keys and knives and other random stuff. Maybe I'll have to fix some of them with some stuff from his favorite video games.

Did you stitch them directly onto the jean fabric, or did you make patches and attach them that way?
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

blackmageheart wrote:Of course, being British, at first I thought they were going to be...um...decorative items for undergarments. :blush:

...actually that's not a bad idea...
Oh, dear; now I'm considering the idea, too. o.o
Kareesh wrote:Did you stitch them directly onto the jean fabric, or did you make patches and attach them that way?
I patched the jeans first. Then I used heavy-weight sewing thread and backstitched the perforated canvas badges directly to the patched spots on the jeans. I think I might wind up putting some interfacing on the back, though. Also, the thread got rather twisty and unwieldy. I bet there's a better way to do this.