Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Onett City Map from Earthbound

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Stitchmond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Onett City Map from Earthbound

Post by Stitchmond »

I'm not exactly sure how long I've been working on this, all I know is that I imported the pattern into PC Stitch in April 2012. First, let's get the boring stuff out of the way:

Half-stitched with two strands on 18 count white aida fabric. 43,425 stitches. 29 colors. 4 skeins of DMC 913. Stuffed with Poly-fil and backed with fancy-pants hoity-toity Scalamandre silk (only the best).

I usually import an image into PC Stitch and tweak the colors a little, but I decided not to mess with them this time and trust what PC Stitch said. It turned out OK, but I wish it were a little more vibrant. I screwed around with the label in the upper right corner so I could put my signature on it. Eventually I'd like to do the entire series of maps including Twoson, Threed, Fourside, Scaraba and Summers, and I'd love to create maps in the same style for Saturn Valley, Happy Happy Village, Dalaam, Dusty Dunes, Magicant, and the Lost Underworld.

The pattern for this and all the other in-game maps from Earthbound will be in the Patterns Forum (thanks to the Video Game Atlas at vgmaps.com). Enjoy!
Attachments
Stuffed and sealed.
Stuffed and sealed.
2013_01020008.JPG (138.4 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
The Shark's turf.
The Shark's turf.
2013_01020007.JPG (137.56 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
You-know-who's house.
You-know-who's house.
2013_01020005.JPG (148.7 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
And for the record, it's pronounced "WON t" like the number one and t.  Not like won't, want, or on-ett.
And for the record, it's pronounced "WON t" like the number one and t. Not like won't, want, or on-ett.
2013_01020004.JPG (118.8 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
The whole shebang.
The whole shebang.
2013_01020003.JPG (138.54 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
stitchmond.etsy.com

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Onett City Map from Earthbound

Post by Miss Clawful »

Even though only half-stitches, that's a heck of an undertaking. Looks great. Someday I'm going to tackle me some maps, someday...

TheMainlander
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by TheMainlander »

I'm surprised how well the half-stitches fill the image. I've never done a project with anything but full stitches, but your work inspires me to experiment with partial stitches. Beautiful work!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."
-Jayne, Firefly

La Ptite Bete
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by La Ptite Bete »

Waa, it looks great !! Love the colors... I've never tried half stitches either :clapping:
My blog
Current cross stitch projects :
None.

Stitchmond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Stitchmond »

The benefit of working with half-stitches: it takes half the time!

The trick is to use more strands and use lower count fabric. It doesn't really look good on 14 count.
stitchmond.etsy.com

Blink190
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Blink190 »

Stitchmond wrote:The benefit of working with half-stitches: it takes half the time!

The trick is to use more strands and use lower count fabric. It doesn't really look good on 14 count.
Have you been looking at my work? : P

I find the half-stitching so much easier. It's a shame when I have to use fabric more than 14 count, but anything lower, it works out great. This piece looks awesome too, amazing job!