Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Star Tropics Request

all non-video game related pattern requests...
jeala
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Star Tropics Request

Post by jeala »

I'm so frustrated. I've tried a few pattern makers and I cannot get this to come out at all! So I hope someone here can help me. ^^;;;;

I'd really like to make a Title Screen cross stitch! So I'm going with my favourite NES game, Star Tropics. Here is the image. . . .

I'd like it to be 18w x 15h and I'd use 14 count cloth. I tried to 'count' how many colours are in the image, and 15 would definitely be enough (I think). If those numbers don't work. . . let me know and I'll get my brain thinking. Thank you in advance to anyone who could do this. <3333333

mfay
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Star Tropics Request

Post by mfay »

Here's a pattern in color:
star tropics color.pdf
(888.06 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
And here's a version in black & white symbols:
star tropics symbols.pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 386 times
You might want to double-check the floss colors recommended by the program before stitching, as I've found them to be off sometimes.

It should end up about 16x18 inches on 14-count cloth, and use six colors (if stitched on black cloth).

jeala
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by jeala »

Thank you so. much. for making that! :D

I'm probably going to use black cloth. . . stitching all that black would drive me crazy.

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

I haven't looked at the pattern provided yet, but I noticed that the image you provided as a guide is 640x480 which means it has been altered. NES screens are always 256x224. Maybe the problem is the image source? It being a JPEG might also cause some ugliness.

The title screen on VGMuseum might make a cleaner pattern.

Of course, it's very likely that mfay went and found another screenshot with which to create the pattern in which case ignore me.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

mfay
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by mfay »

Heh, I did actually get a cleaner version of the image from vgmuseum before I made the pattern :nod

jeala
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by jeala »

I epically fail for just going to Google Images. See!? I'm such a noob at this whole cross stitch thing.

Thanks, benjibot, for your help on the sizing, I'm not gonna ignore that. XD Cuz Lord knows I'd have done the same thing when I went to look for a nother. And thank you again, MFay, for putting up with my slacking noobness. <3 I'll definitely remember that site for later!

<3<3<3

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

I figured you probably had grabbed another version. When I read this thread earlier I wasn't able to look at PDFs.

If you're looking to make a pattern out of a classic game screenshot a good rule of thumb is to look at the file extension for either .gif or .png. Those two will (typically) have the cleanest look for classic computer and game systems. It has to do with the number of colors, mostly. JPEGs tend to get messy. I won't bother with the details, and the folks who are able to provide patterns are pretty hip to these things. So, you did all right anyway.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy