Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Bionic Commando Area 6

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
mfay
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Bionic Commando Area 6

Post by mfay »

I finished stitching this project a while ago but just got around to washing and ironing it. It's an homage to my favorite area of one of my favorite NES games, Bionic Commando. In Area 6 you're infiltrating your enemy's naval base; it's a difficult area with some death-defying blind leaps, but it has a cool nocturnal look and, IMO, the best music in the game :music:

The stars were a royal pain to stitch - I didn't want to run the floss behind the fabric, since there were no other stitches to secure it behind, and it seemed like it would be too easy to see the floss through the holes in the fabric, so every. single. star. is individually secured :dizzy:
bionic commando area 6.jpg
bionic commando area 6.jpg (319.52 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
And a closeup:
bionic commando area 6 closeup.jpg
bionic commando area 6 closeup.jpg (413.5 KiB) Viewed 4743 times

CapnAllegra
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Re: Bionic Commando Area 6

Post by CapnAllegra »

That's awesome - I love the way the X patterns on the pillars turned out.
Pretty okay!

Current projects:
Epic Pokemon Gen 1!
More fractals!
Basketball pillows!

Digitlanalog
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Digitlanalog »

Love it Mfay! Your colors always look really nice and you're a true champ working on so much black aida!! <3 <3 <3

◕‿‿◕
“Yes, frosting. The final defense of the dying.”

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

What's the count on this? Your stitches are so clean and precise, including aaaalllllll those individual stars.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

La Ptite Bete
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by La Ptite Bete »

:shock: Wow, fantastic, it looks really great :clapping:
My blog
Current cross stitch projects :
None.

mfay
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by mfay »

Thanks for the kind words :)
Digitlanalog wrote:Love it Mfay! Your colors always look really nice and you're a true champ working on so much black aida!! <3 <3 <3
I like to pick my colors by eye, since the programs' recommendations can be so off sometimes. As for all my black aida, I dunno, so many early games just seem to use a lot of black backgrounds :scratch: It really helps to have a task light aimed directly at the project while I stitch.
RMDC wrote:What's the count on this? Your stitches are so clean and precise, including aaaalllllll those individual stars.
It's two strands of floss on 18-count fabric. Except for those freakin' stars, which were one strand, looped around twice for each half of the X and then knotted and trimmed in the back. (Is it possible to overuse this smilie? :dizzy: I don't think so! ;) )

heliumkidd
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by heliumkidd »

wow, pixel perfect! when i first saw this while sitting several feet away from my monitor, i thought i was looking at a screenshot or level map. and the individual stitches for the stars... i want to make a screenshot for gradius and i may just have to employ your strategy
view my finished works here: http://heliumkidd.imgur.com/