Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Where do you get your supplies?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Where do you get your supplies?

Post by no_need »

I didn't know about www.cross-stitch-heaven.co.uk - I'll be giving them a try seeing as their DMC skeins are a good 30p cheaper than www.sewandso.co.uk! The only thing I'd say is that Sew and So have always delivered very quickly, whereas it looks like you'd be waiting longer with Cross Stitch Heaven. Always a compromise :banghead:
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

Holder of Anime
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Holder of Anime »

moon_noodles wrote: I realize this is from April. So you might not be looking anymore but there is a crafts shop in Angel, London that sells Aida by the metre. Last time I went in which was early last month they were only selling white but had just worked out a distributor for black and were expecting some in a few weeks. They may have it already. I don't remember there exact prices but they were really cheep. I think it was like 8 pounds (I'm using a US keyboard and can't figure out how to make the pound sign) for a metre. I know they also sell by half metre. They also sell skeins of thread for 29p but they aren't DMC and they only have like 15 different colors. Not a lot of options at all. Its also is a cafe. Its close to Angel Tube station.. But its very small so unless you are in London already I wouldn't make any special trips for it. Its called Ray Stitch, they have a website raystitch.co.uk but I'd visit their website at your own risk. I just tried to access it twice and both times my computer completely locked up and had to be restarted. I don't know if its their website or my computer. But that has never happened before and having it happen twice at that site does make me a bit suspicious so just warning you. Anyway they might be worth checking out and you could always give them a call first. The staff always seemed really friendly but I've only been a few times.
Thanks for the info :D
i work in harringay green lane so its not that far to take a look oneday.
(lilmissfirefly is my girlfriend)

also we have found two stores in lewisham that sell by the metre. Both are frabric shops but also sell white and cream aida's 14 and 18ct. One does sell DMC skeins but for £1 each so not worth it for those.

moon_noodles
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by moon_noodles »

Holder of Anime wrote: Thanks for the info :D
i work in harringay green lane so its not that far to take a look oneday.
(lilmissfirefly is my girlfriend)

also we have found two stores in lewisham that sell by the metre. Both are frabric shops but also sell white and cream aida's 14 and 18ct. One does sell DMC skeins but for £1 each so not worth it for those.

Ah cool. I live near Wood Green Station (which isn't far from harringay green lanes), but we're moving to a different area of London soon.

There is a fabrics/crafts/overflowing with stuff if you aren't careful it'll bury you shop in the Wood Green Mall its in the marketplace bit (on the bottom floor below the wilkinsons) in the back. I know they sell colored aida in various counts and skeins (some DMC some other stuff) the skeins are 75p each, I don't remember what the aida was but I remember that I thought it was very expensive. I prefer the shop in Angel or the internet. I only really go to it when I want it sooner then the internet and if i'm just color matching it.

Hopefully wherever I move may have something nearby too. We shall see.

But thanks for the info. And let me know what you think of the shop in Angel.
Current WIP:
Bleach! Bleach! Bleach! Bleach!!

Too many patterns not enough time!!

deborah
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by deborah »

Does anyone know if I could get aida cross stitch fabric in 28 count. The size fabric needs to be more than 15 inches height and 18 inches width. The size of design area is 10 inches height by 11 inches width and that does not include the border I was going to add around the picture. I was thinking about using a bigger count aida than 14 count. I wanted to make the cross stitch picture smaller because I making something to ship to someone in Australia. I didn't find anything in Joann's fabric store. I was looking at sites on internet and couldn't find anything.

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

deborah wrote:Does anyone know if I could get aida cross stitch fabric in 28 count. The size fabric needs to be more than 15 inches height and 18 inches width. The size of design area is 10 inches height by 11 inches width and that does not include the border I was going to add around the picture. I was thinking about using a bigger count aida than 14 count. I wanted to make the cross stitch picture smaller because I making something to ship to someone in Australia. I didn't find anything in Joann's fabric store. I was looking at sites on internet and couldn't find anything.

I don't think aida comes in that high of a count. I believe you need to look for a evenweave cloth.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

blackberrybear wrote:I don't think aida comes in that high of a count. I believe you need to look for a evenweave cloth.
Was just typing that myself! Pretty much after 18ct it stops being aida and goes on to evenweave.
Try searching for 28ct evenweave or 28ct jobelan, it might yield better results. :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

I buy my aida from a UK shop on eBay as it is HEAPS cheaper than buying it here in Australia even with the exchange rate and there's heaps of range. Thread I just get from the local craft stores where I pay anything from .60c to $1.60 per skein.
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

Krysta
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Krysta »

Is there a website that sells 14 count plastic canvas worldwide? None of the local stores have it, none of the Dutch websites, and the fair I went to 2 weeks ago only had the bigger ones. And the local stores have that too. I really like some 14 count. Also, waste canvas, never seen it anywhere. The Dutch really have to start crafting more.

Sheetaaa
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Sheetaaa »

Bwaaaah help meeee pleaaaase :cry:

I'm looking for a bag, a bag with aida all over it to stitch anything I want on it. The MAIN problem is that bags are sold with kits, and the patterns cost a lot in the final price! For example:

http://www.broderiecanevas.com/MARGOT/S ... e.tpl.html

I'd love this bag, but just because of the flower pattern it costs a lot more! I've tried all the French websites I know, so I'm looking for an English one by now... And I thought of you all! Do you know where I could buy a white bag and not too expensive, with lot of space to stitch on? Not just a little place in the middle of the bag, if you know what I mean. I've already tried in all the shops I could find around me, and it's the same... no big bags!

If you've stitched a bag... Where did you find it?

That what my question, and I thought it could be put in "supplies" :D Thaaanks!

Servotron
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Servotron »

Sheetaaa wrote:Bwaaaah help meeee pleaaaase :cry:

I'm looking for a bag, a bag with aida all over it to stitch anything I want on it. The MAIN problem is that bags are sold with kits, and the patterns cost a lot in the final price! For example:

http://www.broderiecanevas.com/MARGOT/S ... e.tpl.html

I'd love this bag, but just because of the flower pattern it costs a lot more! I've tried all the French websites I know, so I'm looking for an English one by now... And I thought of you all! Do you know where I could buy a white bag and not too expensive, with lot of space to stitch on? Not just a little place in the middle of the bag, if you know what I mean. I've already tried in all the shops I could find around me, and it's the same... no big bags!

If you've stitched a bag... Where did you find it?

That what my question, and I thought it could be put in "supplies" :D Thaaanks!
There is this one at Sewandso.co.uk: http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/Ligh ... rd-76.aspx

Doesn't look like aida cloth, but the design washes off. Maybe you could use some waste aida with it as well to make it neater.
Image Image Image Image