Current Challenge - In Game Ads -

Spriter - a chart generator for Mac

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Spriter - a chart generator for Mac

Postby ScienceDad » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm

pixelcraft, a free and open-source web app for making craft patterns from sprites:

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Postby Eliste » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 am

Cool. I was considering a really big project, but I can leave it on my future possibility list rather than adding it to the giant halfway-done get-a-move-on why-havent-you-finished-this-yet pile until the next update at least!

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ScienceDad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:04 pm

UPDATE!

New features and bug fixes in version 0.3.3:
- can now read indexed PNGs
- can now read PNGs with alpha channel (transparency)
- fixed bug that added extra blank pages when the number of rows or columns was an exact multiple of 60
- white (B5200) and black are now properly reserved colours (with respect to annotation)
- page-wise legends are now sorted by thread counts on that page
- total legend is now sorted by DMC numbers
- enabled multiple-page total legend

As usual, I'm replacing the attachment at the top of this thread. If anyone wants an older version of Spriter, please let me know on the forum and I'll get it to you somehow. :grin:

- sd.
pixelcraft, a free and open-source web app for making craft patterns from sprites:

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Postby Lord Libidan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:48 am

Whoa! "beta testing by Lord Libidan" I only just saw that. Wicked!

Anyways, it works well, there are a few things I would possibly implement though.

Firstly, I put in an image with a white background, and seeing where the 10 block marks are is quite hard. Is there any way you could either get it to auto check the background for a dark/light colour, or add an option to the possible interface so you could select one of a few colours.

Secondly, white. You just implemented B5200, but most people prefer BLANC. I know my local store has like 1000 BLANCs, but only 10 B5200. Reason being the B5200 is bleached, and so reacts to sunlight badly, going brown. Possible selection on the interface to include B5200? Not sure how else you could deal with it apart from removing B5200... I think some online pattern makers remove B5200...

Thirdly, closing it is an issue. I think this might be due to you using python, but I'm not sure.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (3.5 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

You currently have to close it using your dock and not the top bar of the program.

Fourthly, could you make it so once the post script file has been closed it auto-deletes? Or somehow make it so the .ps saves as a pdf then deletes? Once the .ps is made its pretty useless, you have to save it as a pdf for any use. I don't know if its possible though, unless the .ps is opened and converted into a pdf in the spriter program itself. I think I'm understanding that correctly?

Otherwise, its coming along nicely. So nicely in fact that since 0.2 I haven't used another program. Oh! I know what I was going to say! If you're adding an interface for size variation, a suggestion would be to specify pixels and actual measurements based on count sizes. So you could specify count 14 at 10cm, and it would do the calculation for you. And then you could put into into the end page saying how big the pattern will be, even if they only specified the pixels.

Thought of two more things...
KG chart and other pattern makers state how many cells there are in the pattern. Something I never use, but noticed you didn't have. Maybe see who else uses them, and possibly put them in. No point putting things in when people don't use them though, is there? :P
I was talking to someone the other day IRL about spriter and they said they used anchor threads (They were english like me). Not sure if it really calls for adding another set of colours, but I said I would tell you what they said.
Is it me or is spriter sounding more and more like KG Chart and less like a simple drag and drop? :P

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Postby ScienceDad » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: white backgrounds - would it help if I darkened the border around white blocks?

Man - I wish I had known there were issues with B5200 thread before I started using it for everything :-(

Re: quitting - I always just use Command-Q to quit - but whenever I get around to coding my own interface I can rectify this.
Still dithering about whether to implement a GUI in Cocoa (XCode), or to do it all in Python.

Re: getting rid of the .ps file - I tried doing this by writing the *.ps file into the /tmp directory, but while this worked fine with a Python script I ran into permissions problems with the packaged .app version. Also, I'm loathe to put in a system command to delete a file, even if it's absolute path is fully specified.

I'm having second thoughts about putting in image rescaling. The Python library that I'm currently using to handle PNG images doesn't have much functionality for image transformation, but it's nice and compact. The current standard for manupulating PNGs in Python is a rather hefty library called PIL (Python Imaging Library). I'm not sure whether I want to muck about with it just yet :-)

I have no idea what "cells" are in this context :-)

Re: anchor threads - I'd have to see what the demand is. If a few people would like to see Anchor in Spriter then certainly I can work on it!
It's just a matter of finding a good RGB to Anchor map, and then extending the interface..

Again, I'm going to take a break from coding for a bit - this last update was a solid night of coding followed by my youngest waking everyone up the entire night from teething pains. Equals zero sleep :-(

- sd

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Postby Lord Libidan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 am

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Postby Lord Libidan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:23 am

I was helping someone with a pattern today and it had some 320 colours in it and it took ages to process. Not a problem, but I wasn't sure how long it was going to take/if it had crashed, so I was wondering, could you add some type of completion bar or 100% sign somewhere? Just an idea to add to the massive list :P

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Postby ScienceDad » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 pm

tbsp
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Postby tbsp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Your original post mentioned Spriter might be open-source, is this still your intention? I wanted to take a look at how you're doing thread color matching, since sometimes I'm getting results not quite in line with what I'd expect.

I know I can just stitch the pattern with a different thread, but I'm more curious as to why it's making the selections it is.

Edit:

After looking at it further (and assuming you likely just use the "nearest point" in the RGB space), it seems the program I'm using to do color reduction before running the image through Spriter (Irfanview) is tweaking the colors just enough to make the colors I don't want the nearest matches. I've tried two other programs, but they're doing even worse. The variation in results when reducing the same image from 57 to 34 colors in various programs is quite interesting.

Unfortunately my best results still seem to be with Stitches (OSX), which is doing such a good job (imo) at reduction/matching that I suspect it's somehow reducing colors with the DMC thread color space taken into consideration. I say unfortunately because that software carries an $80 price tag and doesn't produce very readable charts.

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Postby ScienceDad » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Return to “Miscellaneous”