Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

A Perler Newb

Rancora
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

A Perler Newb

Post by Rancora »

So i have begun my first Perler Bead project today - but i am having a hard time finding a glue that I can use with it.

Im making a box - and in the aesthetic sense i much prefer the even seams vs making something that would be interlocking - but I cant seem to find what people are using to glue the sides together. I had a low temp glue gun - but that clearly wont work for plastic like this, an dive tried Elmer's "Ultra Stick All" with not-so-stuck results. And from what Ive read on some How-to's - Super Glue or Krazy Glue doesn't work, which i wouldn't think it would.

Should I pick up and try a High Temp Glue Gun? What have you all used for your Box projects? Most of the how-to's I find never mention glue or the type.

Help! :)

I am super anxious to get this sucker together so i can attempt it on a larger scale!

cimorenegal
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Re: A Perler Newb

Post by cimorenegal »

I'm curious as to what people use as well, since I've got a hairbow I'm making for a present for someone and I'm wondering "How the heck do I attach this thing?!" I may resort to hot glue myself, since that seems like it might actually work quite well for what I'm doing, but I definitely want to hear what people have used.

corbin
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by corbin »

In general you should be able to use E6000 or some two part epoxy. I know the epoxy sounds hard core but you can get it at a local craft store and so long as you are careful it is easy to use and sets up in like 10 minutes and dries clear. I know E6000 is used a lot for beading and what not so I would imagine it would work with perlers. I've never actually tried either but in theory they should work.
A Stitch is Worth... How much is a stitch worth?

JentheGeek
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by JentheGeek »

I have both a low and a high temp hot glue gun. I'd stick with low for most uses, as it seems the high.. melts? Burns? Does something to the beads. Nothing damaging, but lordy does it ever let off some fumes. I like the ease of using the glue gun though since it hardens instantly.

I've used epoxy in the past, but I've had issues with getting it mixed right and where it needs to be. For most things Amazing Goop works, just invest in a clamp as it takes hours to set. I haven't used E6000 for perler projects, but it certainly holds my bails on very well so I can't see why it wouldn't be effective.

Crazy glue isn't as awesome is you'd think, unless your aim is to glue your fingers together >_<

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

I have always used a low temp glue gun. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I just use my finger to clean up the extra glue.

RAWRmonster
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by RAWRmonster »

I highly recommend E6000. I use it to attach cork and magnets to my bead sprites and they.don't.budge.
Current Project(s): How much time do you have? LOL

( ^ click me! ^ )

http://rawrrr-monster.deviantart.com/