Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Big Projects

Toiya55
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Big Projects

Post by Toiya55 »

Hey everyone! I'm really really sorry if this has been asked before (I was looking for the topic but got distracted by pretties people made :blush: ) but how on earth do you guys do the big projects? I've avoided perler beads as long as I can to avoid the wrath of my family for starting a new craft, but the stuff I see here is great :grin: . I saw people saying that they put patterns into KG Chart etc but how do you know the colors you get are available? I didn't know if there was an easy way to "perlerize" a video game picture to find the colors I need to buy and try making it. If someone could give me some advice to get started or point me to the right thread I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys and happy stitching/beading/every other crafting!

RAWRmonster
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Big Projects

Post by RAWRmonster »

I recently discovered this website: mypixelpal.com

You can select a color template (Just perler, perler + hama, perler + hama + nabbi, etc) and then it will grid it for you, show you how many pegboards you need, how many of each color bead, etc. It's better than KG for perler since it's bead-specific.

Hope this helps!
Current Project(s): How much time do you have? LOL

( ^ click me! ^ )

http://rawrrr-monster.deviantart.com/

LiquidKarma
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by LiquidKarma »

If it's already a sprite I just grid the sprite and eye ball the colours. Sometimes the colours won't match exactly so you just try to get as close as possible!

Toiya55
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Toiya55 »

You guys are awesome! Thanks a ton. Hopefully I will be posting stuff on here before long too! :yahoo: Time to go get supplies and try to find a place to store another hobby.

TacoMagic
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by TacoMagic »

If you don't have enough boards (which happens from time to time) there is a little trick you can do that will make joining them easier. At your edge, do alternating blocks of 4 beads, creating a kind of "zipper" look on each piece. Once you've melted together the individual pieces (do only one side), you can join them along the zipper edges by interlacing the blocks of 4 (sorry if that's confusing, this is really hard to describe).

Perler recommends doing 1 block interlacing, but I find it doesn't make as strong of a joint.
-Confusion is a state of mind, or is it?

Toiya55
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Toiya55 »

Ooh that is a cool trick. I was even thinking about that the other day when I was looking at some of the larger projects people have done. Thanks for the advice =D I am debating getting the 26,000 bead pack from Joanns since there is a 50% off online coupon, but I can't decide if that would be a good idea for starters or to just get colors I need when I pick a project.

spinuntilyoufall
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by spinuntilyoufall »

RAWRmonster wrote:I recently discovered this website: mypixelpal.com

You can select a color template (Just perler, perler + hama, perler + hama + nabbi, etc) and then it will grid it for you, show you how many pegboards you need, how many of each color bead, etc. It's better than KG for perler since it's bead-specific.

Hope this helps!
This site is GENIUS! I was trying to convert stuff from KGChart - this is soooo much easier!
Current Projects:
Star Wars Stitches!
Child's Play Squares

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

spinuntilyoufall wrote:This site is GENIUS! I was trying to convert stuff from KGChart - this is soooo much easier!
Yes, this site is awesome! Thank you, RAWRmonster!!! :grin:
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA