Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Legend of Zelda Project - Help Please!

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
YeahYeahYouWere
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Legend of Zelda Project - Help Please!

Post by YeahYeahYouWere »

So I am working on some Legend of Zelda magnets (I am a one trick pony, I know it! :)) but I am having some trouble with the colors. My idea was to stitch all the basic enemies, and alternate between the red and blue versions. I really like the way they look in red with the gray background, but for the blue versions I couldn't find a background that worked for me. I settled on a deep red and it looks OK, but it doesn't quite pop like the red.

I am thinking about just doing them all in the red version but I can't decide. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by YeahYeahYouWere on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Projects: Legend of Zelda Magnet Set, Mario Kart coasters (50% done - Mario and Peach finished, Yoshi and Luigi or Toad pending)
Finished Projects: Assorted Coasters, Mega Man 2 Robot Master Magnets, Angry Birds Magnets

Autumn
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: Legend of Zelda Project - Help Please!

Post by Autumn »

Oh, I like this idea!

I see what you mean about the "pop" of the red one, and the lack of it in its blue counterpart. I think the issue here is not so much the background color, but the background color's saturation. If the foreground and background pigments are of the same intensity, then neither stands out. They eye can get overwhelmed by that. I'd suggest using a lighter tint of color for the backgrounds. Even a lighter grey might work.

Good luck!

Stardrifter
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Stardrifter »

yellow is a contrast to blue, so that might give you the effect you're looking for? not sure. i know blue and yellow look pretty ok together, lol

docacola
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by docacola »

I'd suggest something yellow or tan, seeing as that's what color the ground is in the game, and they seem to "pop" fine there.

dragonfoxmem
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by dragonfoxmem »

Stardrifter wrote:yellow is a contrast to blue, so that might give you the effect you're looking for? not sure. i know blue and yellow look pretty ok together, lol
no, orange is contrast to blue.

YeahYeahYouWere
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Thank you for the input all, it's much appreciated! I actually considered the light orange that is the accent color on the Octorok for the background of the blue, but thought it might not 'flow' right having not shared a color back from the blue to the red (aka paralysis by analysis). I probably should have just gone with it. I REALLY like the way the grey background works with the red but it isn't right with the blue - the light blue blends with it too well and it just doesn't look right. I started with the same gray background and then cut it out after I was 1/2 done because it just wasn't right. I thought about a lighter grey too, but I am not sure that it wouldn't have the same problem.

I do not have any yellow shades handy, but perhaps orange would be good. Right now I am probably going to focus on the red series, but I'll get back to blue eventually...I think. I'll keep you all posted, and of course if more ideas are out there keep 'em coming! :)
Current Projects: Legend of Zelda Magnet Set, Mario Kart coasters (50% done - Mario and Peach finished, Yoshi and Luigi or Toad pending)
Finished Projects: Assorted Coasters, Mega Man 2 Robot Master Magnets, Angry Birds Magnets

Stardrifter
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Stardrifter »

dragonfoxmem wrote:
Stardrifter wrote:yellow is a contrast to blue, so that might give you the effect you're looking for? not sure. i know blue and yellow look pretty ok together, lol

ahh- forgive me for not knowing the color wheel. i was under the impression that not only the color directly across from another but also the colors to each side of the contrast were also contrasting colors. my bad.

RenaeNaeMarie
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by RenaeNaeMarie »

Stardrifter wrote:
dragonfoxmem wrote:

ahh- forgive me for not knowing the color wheel. i was under the impression that not only the color directly across from another but also the colors to each side of the contrast were also contrasting colors. my bad.
In your defense, Stardrifter, there IS a shade of yellow across from blue on that wheel :)

I think either would look fine, but yellow would probably look best.

YeahYeahYouWere
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

I think I have picked out a couple candidates...

As per this page: http://yarntree.com/075dmcolors.jpg

3822, 3821, 307, 727, 726, 743, and 947 (all in row 12 and 13). Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Autumn
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Autumn »

I like the looks of 3822 and 727. And I think yellow is a good call.