Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Mario Kart Patterns - Input Appreciated

Post your completed patterns here...
YeahYeahYouWere
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Mario Kart Patterns - Input Appreciated

Post by YeahYeahYouWere »

EDIT: I have finished a pattern that includes all 4...
Mario_Kart_All_Sky.sth
Mario Kart - 4 Character with Sky background
(15.43 KiB) Downloaded 790 times

I have decided to make some coasters for my fiancée and myself. and I have settled on Super Mario Kart sprites. The design area is 39x39 stitches, and I have found some great sprites to use here: http://tsgk.captainn.net/?p=showgame&t=sy&sy=8&ga=344 (thanks for the rips Sprite Sheets). I like the look of the isometric view, rather than the straight on.

I have 3 things I am hoping for some help with, though. First, I am leaning toward Mario, Peach, Yoshi and Toad. But I kind of want to ditch Toad for Luigi - your thoughts?

Second, can someone check the colors on my patterns for me? I have had good luck taking the sprite and saving as a 24 color bitmap and then importing to KG Chart with a max of 16 colors. But I am new to pattern making so I can't say for certain whether or not they've come out right. I have tried a max of 24 colors for the pattern too, but it seemed to just add more shades of very light gray (white) and when I choose 16 max, it uses 11 and I think it looks good.

Finally, I am thinking I will use a checkered pattern for the border, and I can't decide on black/white or using shaded colors dependent on the character (two shades of red for Mario, etc.). I also need suggestions for what to put in the background behind the sprite. I am thinking a light gray, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Here are the BMP files (blown up) and the STH files - any input is very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Black and White Border:
Spoiler
Shades of Red Border:
Spoiler
Attachments
Mario_red_background.sth
STH for red border
(7.62 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Mario_bw_background.sth
STH for b/w border
(7.9 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Current Projects: Legend of Zelda Magnet Set, Mario Kart coasters (50% done - Mario and Peach finished, Yoshi and Luigi or Toad pending)
Finished Projects: Assorted Coasters, Mega Man 2 Robot Master Magnets, Angry Birds Magnets

WhoDatIs
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: Mario Kart Patterns - Input Appreciated

Post by WhoDatIs »

Why is mario green?

tigressmellora
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by tigressmellora »

I like the black border, just turn all the green bordering on Mario to black. It will look better. I'd say go ahead with the Luigi thing.

YeahYeahYouWere
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by YeahYeahYouWere »

Wow, thanks for the heads up - I hadn't even noticed all the outlines were green instead of black! I guess I just assumed they were black and moved on. Wouldn't have noticed until I had bought everything and started.

I still need to do some color verification, but I think I have the basic layout. I may stitch a bit of each border just to see how they look because I am still torn.

I will probably do Toad last to give me more time to ponder the Luigi swap too. Right now I am leaning toward Luigi just to balance out the green/red balance. Thanks again for the input!
Current Projects: Legend of Zelda Magnet Set, Mario Kart coasters (50% done - Mario and Peach finished, Yoshi and Luigi or Toad pending)
Finished Projects: Assorted Coasters, Mega Man 2 Robot Master Magnets, Angry Birds Magnets

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Image of all 4 pictures for wiki:
coasters.jpg
coasters.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Last edited by funkymonkey on Sun May 03, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscarthegrouch108
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by oscarthegrouch108 »

Ok devils advocate time: I love Toad! :toad I say keep him! :toad