Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Where to start??

LucyInTheSky
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Where to start??

Post by LucyInTheSky »

Hi. I'm getting married next May and both bf and I are huge Nintendo fans. So we're doing a Nintendo themed wedding. Nothing crazy, just like Mario figurines on the cakes (since I'm not paying for a full Nintendo cake!), Nintendo centerpieces and other small things. I want to do something with Perler beads. Our thinking was each table would be themed - fire flower table, star table - etc, and I'd use the Perler beads to make the appropriate items. And then that's what people get as favors, rather than candy or stuff.

So, here's what I need help. I've found bags of colors on Amazon ($2.50 or so for 1000 beads). Do I have to have a pegboard? My plan was to use my cross stitch program to design the patterns, place the beads, and iron. Can I do that sans pegboard? Or should I just get a big square and do my shapes within the square?

Are Perler the right beads to use? I think there's another brand (Hama?). Which is the easiest/stays to together/etc ones to use?

Thank you for your help!
Check out my blog: GorramQuilts.com

LilMissFirefly
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Where to start??

Post by LilMissFirefly »

Awesome idea!!!!! I'd love to have a crafty themed wedding (I better not sound too excited, my boyfriend is also on here and will no doubt think I'm hinting ;))

It's pretty much essential to have a peg board, you'll be making your life a lot lot lot easier! Without it the beads will move around and be very annoying.

As for Perler vs. Hama, it depends if you're in the states or UK as perler are more readily available in the US and hama in the UK, apart from that there isn't much difference (a few of the shades available in hama aren't available in perler and vice versa but that rarely makes much of a difference)

Also when you iron make sure you put paper between the beads and the iron otherwise it could be quite disastrous!

Good luck, keep us updated on how the wedding goes!!!!

Mims
Check out my Blogs =)

http://mimsmusings.wordpress.com

http://mimscraftymusings.wordpress.com

If you see anything you like, subscribe =)

If you see anything you don't like, comment!!!

LucyInTheSky
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by LucyInTheSky »

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom! I will get me one of those peg boards :)

Do I put special paper between the beads and the iron? And how hot should the iron be? I have 5 settings... cotton is 2nd hottest...

Danke!
Check out my blog: GorramQuilts.com

dvdwojnar
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by dvdwojnar »

The paper should either come with the beads, or its just regular parchment cooking sheets. It lets you iron the beads without them melting/sticking to the iron.

The iron should be set to about the medium level of heat. Really, its something you figure out exactly where as you get a feel for it. If you like to iron the beads really flat, you may use a higher heat. Or if you like to just fuse them just enough so they stick, yet maintain their bead-like appearance, you may want a lower heat.

Good luck!

LilMissFirefly
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by LilMissFirefly »

Yeah I use baking paper as you can just get as much as you want from the roll, whereas the paper they were selling near the beads looked like a bit of a rip off at £3 for a tiny pack!
Check out my Blogs =)

http://mimsmusings.wordpress.com

http://mimscraftymusings.wordpress.com

If you see anything you like, subscribe =)

If you see anything you don't like, comment!!!