Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

World of Warcraft Blood Elf Emblem Request

all non-video game related pattern requests...
Toiya55
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

World of Warcraft Blood Elf Emblem Request

Post by Toiya55 »

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if someone could help me make this picture into a pattern. A friend of mine requested it specifically as a possible future present, but he doesn't actually expect me to make it because of the amount of work etc. (Wont he be surprised? :lol: ) The amount of colors doesn't matter to me really, just whatever you think would work best with a picture like this. He asked for it to be a "decent size" so he could hang it on the wall. I threw it in KG-Chart (I also have PCStitch Pro if that is easier) and it made me size it down from the original pixel size. My issue with trying to make a pattern is that it looks blotchy. Any help or advice would be much appreciated! I plan to do it on black Aida cloth I think so I don't have to stitch all the black.
Spoiler

Efrite
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: World of Warcraft Blood Elf Emblem Request

Post by Efrite »

Well I put it into KG Chart and I see what you mean by it coming out blotchy. The only way I can see (others may know of another way) for you to make it less blotchy would be to manually go in and change each stitch to like a half stitch. It would be tedious and annoying for sure.
I'm back! ATK and all that foo..
Please PM Me if you have a Q on a post I made.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

I also put this into KGChart and PCStitch as well, in my opinion the PCStitch one was better, however I only have the trial version at the minute so I can't save the patterns.
If you don't mind stitching something quite large I would recommend putting it into PCStitch, and keeping the output at the image's original size (550 x 650). It will still be a little blotchy, as the image has to be posterized to some degree to enable the floss colour matching - you can set the "Maximum Colours to Use" at higher levels to decrease the blotchyness, however this means using a LOT more colours. Out of interest I found out the max colours that PCStitch would use for this image at its original res would be 367 - that's a lot of colours!

Personally, I would try to find a smaller version of this image (preferably a png) and work from that - I'd go for something half this size as it'd still be quite a big piece.

I hope that helps you out a bit.
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Sorry to double post - I actually went ahead and resized the image to half its original size and put it through KGChart.

Here's what I got :
Blood Elf icon.sth
(123.48 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
On 18 ct it'd be 31.75cm x 37.53cm. There's 53 colours - if you're gonna stitch it on black aida then delete the 310 :)

Don't know if that's any good to you but you're welcome to it :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Toiya55
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Toiya55 »

Thanks a bunch guys :grin: That information is a lot of help with getting an idea of how it looked in different sizes. I played around a bit with the pcstitch idea but for some reason I can't get the bottom right part of the red area to not be brown, even in the full 550x650 pixel setting. I think that program just hates me... :banghead:

I about had a heart attack when I saw the size of it in inches with the full pixel setting..30x36 inches on 18 count!!! I love him dearly, but I think I would die before I finished it or my hands would fall off :swoon:

I also took the idea of using it 50% in Kg-Chart, and tried upping it to 75%. I like the way it looks and it is a nice compromise between 50% and 100%. I'm just afraid that what I think may look good in the program will end up looking horrible in stitches, or if I am being too finicky about how it looks in the program to begin with. I tend to have a bad habit of worrying so much that I end up scrapping the entire idea. :blush:

Anyway, here is the 75% version of it in KG-Chart. What do you think?
Attachments
BE Icon.sth
(230.78 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

Efrite
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Efrite »

I think it looks good. It's still really big. This project really isn't as big as it would be if you weren't using black aida. There's over 140k stitches in 310.
I'm back! ATK and all that foo..
Please PM Me if you have a Q on a post I made.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Yeah, the 75% is good, I had a play around with that idea myself, but I actually went with the 50% because of the sheer scale of the piece - even on black aida it'll be a big job. But not impossible! :D

It's totally up to you which size you go for though :P
Toiya55 wrote:I'm just afraid that what I think may look good in the program will end up looking horrible in stitches, or if I am being too finicky about how it looks in the program to begin with. I tend to have a bad habit of worrying so much that I end up scrapping the entire idea.
What you see onscreen is often a little different to the actual floss colours. What I would recommend you do (and what I always do) is to check the actual floss colour (preferably in daylight, if in electric light then try to avoid energy saving bulbs as they tend to make some colours look different). If you're happy with a colour use it, if not, find another floss that is a better colour match. After all, it is you who will be working on it and you are the one who has to be happy with how it goes. Many times I've sat and unpicked colours because I'm not happy with them, or sometimes a colour that looks weird while you're stitching actually looks fine when your work is finished.

Hope that helps!

Toiya55
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Toiya55 »

This may be a silly question, but will it look weird with black aida cloth for the background instead of black stitches? I wouldn't think so but I don't think I've made anything that I've used a specific color cloth as the background to replace stitches. I would still do the black stitches inside of the emblem so it wouldn't look uneven.

Again, thank you guys for your input :yahoo: I honestly have no idea when I am even going to start this, but hoping it will be soon! I just finished the "Beguiling Tiger" Gold Collection and I'm looking forward to working on something with a little more color. :grin:

Servotron
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Servotron »

Toiya55 wrote:This may be a silly question, but will it look weird with black aida cloth for the background instead of black stitches? I wouldn't think so but I don't think I've made anything that I've used a specific color cloth as the background to replace stitches. I would still do the black stitches inside of the emblem so it wouldn't look uneven.
My Deep Space Nine piece was done on black aida and it looks fine. I would still do the stitches inside the emblem though, for exactly the reason you gave. Using black aida for the background will make it pop out a bit more as well.
Image Image Image Image

wirilome
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by wirilome »

Hi. I am new.

Would it be possible to get this pattern in a PDF file?

Or what program is used to open that kind of file (sth)?