Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

my first try at 3D! Mario Question Block

luchadork
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

my first try at 3D! Mario Question Block

Post by luchadork »

Hey everyone! Well, my last post on here wasn't in the best of moods, but no more craft slump! On to crafting! This was my first attempt at 3D perlers, and I learned a lot through trial and error. I really love how these looks when they're done and am inspired to make more.

I've seen similar projects on here and decided to give it a try, so thanks to everyone on the board who inspires me and gave me advice!

the 4 sides are all the ? face, and the top and bottom are the brick pattern, with the fire flower being the little handle to lift the top on and off.
Spoiler

Thanks for looking!
http://worldofdorkcraft.blogspot.com/ Blog I share with my fiance about all the dorky things we make :)

Moxi
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Re: my first try at 3D! Mario Question Block

Post by Moxi »

That looks awesome! How did you get the sides to stay together? Did you use glue or interlocking pieces?

luchadork
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by luchadork »

thanks! Glue :| lol I wouldve prefered to lock them in place but since this was my first, i didnt wanna risk messing up and decided my best bet was glue. it works fine, but the glue seeped through some spots and though i wiped it away as best i could, you could still see it and some parts arent perfectly aligned. i think locking them would be the better option for anyone who wants to try something like this.
http://worldofdorkcraft.blogspot.com/ Blog I share with my fiance about all the dorky things we make :)

dvdwojnar
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by dvdwojnar »

Sweet! I love the fire flower on top. It gives it a lot more personality than just the block itself.

Yeah, I like the lock-in method too. I think you only really need a couple tries to get the hand of it. The hardest part is ironing it them; the 3d snap-together tabs can't be too flat (ironed too much) or they won't fit into the corresponding slots well.

Moxi
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Moxi »

I totally agree that getting interlocking pieces right can be tricky. I made 3 out of 5 pieces for a tissue paper box cover (Dr. Mario with viruses, of course!) before realizing that my ironing skills just weren't up to snuff and that they wouldn't latch together correctly. I haven't given up on it though - I just need to find time to try again. I give mad props to the people who can make intricate 3D perler pieces.