Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Boo's Beads

BooChocoBoom
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Boo's Beads

Post by BooChocoBoom »

I actually started out my spriting journey with Perlers. I realized that I really haven't posted any photos. The way it works in my household is generally I make a pattern, the husband sets the beads (he really likes doing it), and I iron.

Our first project ever was for a friend with whom I've had many epic Dr. Mario battles:
Spoiler
Shadow the Hedgehog for another friend's bday:
Spoiler
Mega Man vs. Guts for a friend that fixed our compy:
Spoiler
A simple sonic for a bday present:
Spoiler
And my one and only so far for pay, Bionic Commando:
Spoiler
Part of my swap gift for Johloh, Little Mac in sweatsuit (that glows in the dark):
Spoiler
I am fairly certain there are more but I have to locate pics - more to come!
Current projects:
Leftover swap gifts
HP House Scarves
Secret of Mana charity square
Vid game advent calendar

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Boo's Beads

Post by Ally »

I really like the Dr. Mario one, it looks really good framed! One question; when you framed it, did you have to look for a particularly deep frame, or did you iron them quite flat to get them to fit?
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

BooChocoBoom
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by BooChocoBoom »

Ally wrote:I really like the Dr. Mario one, it looks really good framed! One question; when you framed it, did you have to look for a particularly deep frame, or did you iron them quite flat to get them to fit?
I used a shadow box from Michael's. It has a plush lining and actually comes with sticky Velcro strips that I used to help keep them in place. I recently found a 3 pack of smaller ones there that I will be using for framing individual ones.
Current projects:
Leftover swap gifts
HP House Scarves
Vid game advent calendar

plasticlachesis
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by plasticlachesis »

Great job! I love the Doctor Mario shadow box.

BigDaddyWiz
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by BigDaddyWiz »

The Bionic Commando magnet is really cool! love how he is swinging across the fridge!

DSenderM
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by DSenderM »

I specially love the Dr. Mario box and Bionic Comando magnet :) they are great!

BooChocoBoom
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by BooChocoBoom »

I made some new things! For my cousin's 6th bday (technically second cousin but who's counting?), he was getting a Mario themed room and party. So I saw the perfect opportunity to start him on the geeky crafty path! I bought him a starter kit of Perlers and a pack of pegboards. Then I made a couple examples so that he can see the possibilities (they are as follows).

I decided on a simple jumping Mario and a Piranha plant in a pipe so I found the patterns and had the husband set the beads (he likes doing so, says it's soothing):
Spoiler
In the tutorials I've read through for making the potted Piranha plants, I noticed they made a spike on the bottom of the plant so that it will stay put in the florist's foam block. I had some extra glow in the dark beads, so I added on the spike. I used a plain terra cotta pot and used a base of white paint (as I didn't have any gesso) so that I didn't have to do multiple layers of green. It worked quite well:
Spoiler
Then I made a horrible horrible mistake. Do NOT mistake frog tape for safe painter's tape, I assure you they are not the same. I was taping off the lines so that they would be straight and it was all I had at the time. In short, when I started to pull off the tape, it took half the paint off with it! ARGH! So after painting it again and then not finding my tape, I had to eyeball the lines. They are not as straight or pretty as I would want them but it WAS going to a 6 year old (he didn't care). After it dried properly, I stabbed a hole into a small block of florist's foam (you can find them at the dollar store!) and inserted Mr. Piranha. I then shored up the block with more foam until it was almost at the ridge of the pot. I used glass dots (also from the dollar store!) to make it look all shiny at the top:
Spoiler
I am hoping to make some for myself sometime after the holidays and overall, it was pretty quick and easy.
Current projects:
Leftover swap gifts
HP House Scarves
Vid game advent calendar

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

The piranha plant looks fantastic!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Yurtle »

So much fun! Good work!

I had a very short relationship with beads. Bought a kit, made them, thought they were cute and never returned.

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Batboard »

Bionic commando you say...... :D . Stuff like this really makes me want to start doing projects like this, they all look great! Sooooo......how much for a BC magnet? As I'm quite the BC fan.