Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Pixel Hobby - A Perler alternative?

HelloCloe
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Pixel Hobby - A Perler alternative?

Post by HelloCloe »

Hey guys,

So I came across this amazing work on instagram (Credit to HowardMoon76 for his amazing and inspiring work)

This is approx 60x71cm-ish. 36 boards in total ^_^

And at first I thought it was a perler piece of work, but I found out it was actually a "Pixel Hobby/mosaic" piece. I did some research into this media and they're little squares that pop onto the board with a click (No iron needed!!! hooray for no burnt fingers!!) and they're ridiculously cheap!!

Has anyone had any experience with them?
They even provide their own software free of charge which converts photos or pictures into a chart and the numbers of colours you need.
Dying to have a go, but wanted to see what others made of them? Pros and cons etc? :)

http://www.thecraftdookit.co.uk/index.php?id=2 - Check it out, they're available world wide.

What do you guys think?

Cloe x :pika

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Pixel Hobby - A Perler alternative?

Post by funkymonkey »

Yep, there are several PixelHobby threads on here. The artist of that piece had a thread for it, as well!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4102

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5108

HelloCloe
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by HelloCloe »

Ahhh!!! Amazing! and Such a coincidence that he posts here too! ^_^ Lucky duck!

howardmoon76
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by howardmoon76 »

HelloCloe wrote:Ahhh!!! Amazing! and Such a coincidence that he posts here too! ^_^ Lucky duck!
Hi hello cloe, thanks for the post :D

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Now that PixelHobby has been brought up again, I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and try it; the only thing that's held me back is the cost. I am a bit confused though, after looking at their website for supplies (http://www.pixelhobby-usa.com/StoreSupplies.aspx) it says that "pixel squares" are $0.35 each. As I understand it, you chip individual pixels off of this square, and get ~135 pixels out of each one. If this is the case, they are around 0.00259 cents per pixel, and perler beads from Jo-Ann are $2.99/1000, so they are 0.00299 cents each. This makes pixelhobby pixels cheaper (slightly) than perlers? That seems to contradict what I've read about them previously.

Someone who has done pixelhobby before- is my assumption correct about you getting ~135 pixels out of each 35 cent pixel square? Thanks!

HelloCloe
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by HelloCloe »

I think you're right.

I think once you've included the cost of the boards though (because unlike perler where you can remove the work, you have to leave it on) they do work out about the same cost. There's a huge variety of colours though, more than 300 so you get a good pallet like cross stitching.

I'd say go for it! Do a small project and see what happens! ^_^

:pika

howardmoon76
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by howardmoon76 »

The first one I did was a 1 baseplate I did mario. Or you can buy a 1 baseplate kit.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

So I decided I want to try a 4-base-plate image, but I can't decide which one of these!! What do you think:
pixelhobby.jpg
pixelhobby.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 8038 times

HelloCloe
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by HelloCloe »

funkymonkey wrote:So I decided I want to try a 4-base-plate image, but I can't decide which one of these!! What do you think:
pixelhobby.jpg

i LOVE the first image.

I think that'll look amazing!!! :D

x