Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

An idea for charity work

sambrea
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

An idea for charity work

Post by sambrea »

Hi,

I know that a lot of people here do charity work, in particular those really COOL quilt blocks. Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to do one but I thought I would share something else I do for charity and see if I can get anyone interested. So here we go:

I'm a member of a group called Speed Demos Archive, a really big group of gamers who speed run games, basically playing a game as fast as possible. Twice a year we put on on a charity marathon where members come together in a certain location to run games. How do me and you come into this? I can't make it to the marathons because of work (and a lack of funds) but to help raise money, they draw for prizes that people donate. I've made three cross stitches for marathons so far, two for the one this past January and one for the one this summer. As I'm writing this, the summer marathon is going on, called SGDQ or Summer Games Done Quick at http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/ if you are interested. The amount of money involved has become unimaginable as in January during AGDQ or Awesome Games Done Quick, $450,000 was raised for Autism Research. This summer they're raising money for Doctors without Borders and are already near $100,000. SGDQ is not as big as AGDQ so it won't make as much money but it is just as important. Any game-related prizes are welcome so I hope a few people see this as a cool opportunity for some easy charity work.